Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

M1 Mac 13 - Sluggish and laggy system animation

I've noticed a lot of sluggish and lagging system animation (launchpad, dock magnification, genie effect), and also some video lagging as well. It seems to only occur when I have an external monitor attached. Also, I did not notice this issue until I got a new 4K external monitor.

The problem goes away after restart, but returns after using graphics heavy applications such as Adobe CC apps.

My guess is that it's a GPU related issue. I notice in Adobe Illustrator the GPU preview changes to CPU preview after some time, and I can't change it back to the default GPU preview. Almost as if the GPU has shut down or is faltering.

I know others have experienced this as well. Please comment here. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. These machines are expensive and should work properly.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 1:16 PM

akirk66 wrote:

I've noticed a lot of sluggish and lagging system animation (launchpad, dock magnification, genie effect), and also some video lagging as well. It seems to only occur when I have an external monitor attached. Also, I did not notice this issue until I got a new 4K external monitor.

The problem goes away after restart, but returns after using graphics heavy applications such as Adobe CC apps.

My guess is that it's a GPU related issue. I notice in Adobe Illustrator the GPU preview changes to CPU preview after some time, and I can't change it back to the default GPU preview. Almost as if the GPU has shut down or is faltering.

I know others have experienced this as well. Please comment here. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. These machines are expensive and should work properly.

you can get a good look at your User/System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2023 1:16 PM in response to akirk66

akirk66 wrote:

you can get a good look at your User/System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

M1 Mac 13 - Sluggish and laggy system animation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.