Where do I ship my MacBook Pro to for liquid damage repair?

Someone spilled water on my old MacBook Pro...I'm about to have a nervous breakdown. I need to send it to an Apple Store for liquid damage since I don't anywhere live near an Apple Store. Where do I send it to? All my files are in that computer since my new MacAir doesn't have much memory... Ideally, I would like the MacBook Pro laptop repaired, but either way, need to back-up all the files to an external drive. What's the process please? Help!

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 12:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 1:08 AM

How to send your Mac to Apple for service - Apple Support

You should consider asking "someone" to pay for repairs. It's very likely going to be very expensive. My 2016 MBP logic board replacement (Apple doesn't actually repair) cost me $592US in 2020.

Unless you have AppleCare + user-caused damage is not a warranty covered "repair". And spilled water is use-caused.

If you Mac is damaged to the point of not functioning, you can't make backups. Backups should be made when the machine's performing normally before you need them.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

You didn't state the year of your Mac, but some have removable internal drives; newer models do not. Your data is not stored in memory, it's stored on your disk. If you're drive is removable, you may can salvage it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2023 1:08 AM in response to CQC2

How to send your Mac to Apple for service - Apple Support

You should consider asking "someone" to pay for repairs. It's very likely going to be very expensive. My 2016 MBP logic board replacement (Apple doesn't actually repair) cost me $592US in 2020.

Unless you have AppleCare + user-caused damage is not a warranty covered "repair". And spilled water is use-caused.

If you Mac is damaged to the point of not functioning, you can't make backups. Backups should be made when the machine's performing normally before you need them.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

You didn't state the year of your Mac, but some have removable internal drives; newer models do not. Your data is not stored in memory, it's stored on your disk. If you're drive is removable, you may can salvage it.

Sep 15, 2023 11:25 AM in response to CQC2

It's an old Mac, I'm thinking maybe 2012.

If it's that old, Apple's address is a moot point. They will not work on any product on these lists:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

Looks like the oldest Macbook Pros they will service in most counteries are some 2015 models.

This may help you find the sub-model (year) from the serial number if the computer won't start:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

That still returns a valid sub-model for my late mother-in-law's ancient Macbook Pro, so hopefully will for yours as well

Sep 15, 2023 4:02 AM in response to ku4hx

It's an old Mac, I'm thinking maybe 2012. How do I know if my drive is removable? I really need to access my files, lots of tax documents I urgently need, etc.

Yeah, I have been meaning to back it up, last time was in Nov 2022... I'm super responsible and take good care of my stuff, was not expecting for some idiot to bring and then spill a glass of water on my equipment, still makes my blood boil. He will for sure need to pay for all or some of this... I was working on my computer when the water hit, and it just turned off, screen went black. That said, there's still a light on, as if still on. I haven't dared to even open the screen so no electricity goes through it. It's already been 2 weeks since it happened (was trying to find someone to help locally). Do they ever evaporate and just turn on? Wishful thiinking... I'm tempted to open, but afraid I could make matters worse.

Sep 15, 2023 5:00 AM in response to CQC2

You can't ID a drive as removable or not with a "maybe"; you can only guess.

Guessing it is a 2012, the drive is removable. You'll need the proper tools and once removed you'll need a USB enclosure to be able to read it.

Tools: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=macbook+tols&crid=16RR361T6ISN9&sprefix=macbook+tols%2Caps%2C181&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Enclosure: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+enclosure&crid=21A30XLBPS99O&sprefix=usb+enclosure%2Caps%2C256&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

There are two kinds of conputer users when it comes to data security; those who have lost data and those who will.

Sep 15, 2023 5:25 AM in response to CQC2

In my opinion, trying to repair the device does not make sense on a 11 year old device. The cost to repair would most likely be significant depending on the damage. I understand you have important files on the drive that you would like to recover. It is likely that the Hard Drive is fine and can be removed with the liquid damaging the motherboard. I don't think anymore damage would be done at this point by opening the lid since it has been 2 weeks. It will either work or not work. You may be able to put the device in Target Disk Mode to get the data off the drive if it does start up with only the screen being black.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as this is just what I would do. Keep us posted and good luck!

Where do I ship my MacBook Pro to for liquid damage repair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.