Battery health

My MacBook Air m1's battery health is 94% within 70 cycle. Is this normal ? Do I need to change any function or daily charging routine?

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 1:33 PM

Battery cycle counts are meaningless for determining battery health except when the cycle count nears 1,000 cycles.

Until the Apple Silicon Macs, Apple never showed the Battery Capacity value to the user so people don't realize how quickly the value can change or even fluctuate. Your battery will provide adequate run time down to 80% or even 75% for some people. In fact Apple won't replace the battery until the Battery Capacity drops below 80% (maybe even 75-77% since the value shown by macOS may be off by a few percentage points). The Battery Capacity value may fluctuate a little bit & may not be a steady decrease. I've never monitored the Battery Capacity to know whether the decrease is steady or whether it may plateau for a bit. I just know the Battery Capacity can fluctuate up & down a few percentage points.

macOS now includes a new Battery Health Management system for several years now where for 2018+ Macs, it has Optimized Charging which helps to keep the battery healthy. See these Apple articles for some details:

About battery health management in Mac laptops - Apple Support

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac - Apple Support

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

The worst things for a battery are heat, impacts, and letting the battery stay drained at 0% charge level for too long. Otherwise just use your laptop until the battery is no longer performing to your needs.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2023 1:33 PM in response to MkZaidi

Battery cycle counts are meaningless for determining battery health except when the cycle count nears 1,000 cycles.

Until the Apple Silicon Macs, Apple never showed the Battery Capacity value to the user so people don't realize how quickly the value can change or even fluctuate. Your battery will provide adequate run time down to 80% or even 75% for some people. In fact Apple won't replace the battery until the Battery Capacity drops below 80% (maybe even 75-77% since the value shown by macOS may be off by a few percentage points). The Battery Capacity value may fluctuate a little bit & may not be a steady decrease. I've never monitored the Battery Capacity to know whether the decrease is steady or whether it may plateau for a bit. I just know the Battery Capacity can fluctuate up & down a few percentage points.

macOS now includes a new Battery Health Management system for several years now where for 2018+ Macs, it has Optimized Charging which helps to keep the battery healthy. See these Apple articles for some details:

About battery health management in Mac laptops - Apple Support

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac - Apple Support

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

The worst things for a battery are heat, impacts, and letting the battery stay drained at 0% charge level for too long. Otherwise just use your laptop until the battery is no longer performing to your needs.

Battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.