Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Connecting Apple TV4K to Yamaha Receiver

I have what I hope is a simple question. I have a Yamaha RX-V775 receiver and an 2020 LG OLED TV. Yesterday I started hooking up the new ATV 4K. My initial connection was ATV 4K to the receiver with a new HDMI 2.1 cable, then back out to the TV with a lower quality HDMI cable (2.0?). I couldn't get Dolby Vision to work. I could only get a lower quality signal. I played around with the settings on my TV, bypassed the receiver and went directly to the TV from the ATV 4K. That did the trick as far as Dolby Vision, but now I have to separately turn on the receiver, as I passed the audio signal from the TV via a digital optical cable.

My goal is to use the ATV remote to turn everything on and get optimal picture and sound. Could it be that to pass the return signal from the receiver to the TV, I also need a dedicated HDMI 2.1 cable? The receiver specs say it's capable of sending a video signal of 4K/30Hz.

Thanks for any help here. My system is working, but I want to make it as simple as possible to operate with one remote.

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 9:24 PM

If you have a new Apple TV box, then that will have an HDMI 2.1 port.

I’m quite confident that all 2020 models LG OLED TV have HDMI 2.1 ports, but verify the specs.

The Yamaha RX-V775 seems to be a 2013 design, thereby limited to lesser HDMI ports (1.4?). 4K/30Hz seems to imply a 10 Gbps limit like HDMI 1.4.

Moreover, commercial 4K content requires HDCP 2.2-enabled ports on devices, else you will be limited to 1080p and HDCP 1.x. HDCP 2.2 (or later) is usually combined with HDMI 2.0 ports (or later).

Dolby Vision or HDR has to be supported by the AV receiver for proper passthrough.

Ask Yamaha for more detailed specifications if needed.

With the receiver in the middle, that would be the bottleneck, so new 48 Gbps cables will work fine, but wouldn’t bring the latest HDMI 2.1 capabilities that the other devices are capable of.

You may be better off doing the setup as:

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV →[HDMI ARC]→ receiver

so that the receiver only has to do audio processing, not video passthrough,

and let the TV do the audio passthrough instead.

The remote doesn’t care about any of this ordering. CEC commands will be passed through to all HDMI devices. That is mandatory for all HDMI devices and cables. Verify that CEC is activated on each device. Whether the devices are programmed to execute some or all of such commands, that is a different story, and totally up to each manufacturer at design time (or firmware update time).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2023 9:24 PM in response to robw235

If you have a new Apple TV box, then that will have an HDMI 2.1 port.

I’m quite confident that all 2020 models LG OLED TV have HDMI 2.1 ports, but verify the specs.

The Yamaha RX-V775 seems to be a 2013 design, thereby limited to lesser HDMI ports (1.4?). 4K/30Hz seems to imply a 10 Gbps limit like HDMI 1.4.

Moreover, commercial 4K content requires HDCP 2.2-enabled ports on devices, else you will be limited to 1080p and HDCP 1.x. HDCP 2.2 (or later) is usually combined with HDMI 2.0 ports (or later).

Dolby Vision or HDR has to be supported by the AV receiver for proper passthrough.

Ask Yamaha for more detailed specifications if needed.

With the receiver in the middle, that would be the bottleneck, so new 48 Gbps cables will work fine, but wouldn’t bring the latest HDMI 2.1 capabilities that the other devices are capable of.

You may be better off doing the setup as:

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV →[HDMI ARC]→ receiver

so that the receiver only has to do audio processing, not video passthrough,

and let the TV do the audio passthrough instead.

The remote doesn’t care about any of this ordering. CEC commands will be passed through to all HDMI devices. That is mandatory for all HDMI devices and cables. Verify that CEC is activated on each device. Whether the devices are programmed to execute some or all of such commands, that is a different story, and totally up to each manufacturer at design time (or firmware update time).

Connecting Apple TV4K to Yamaha Receiver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.