Troubleshooting my iMac Pro (2017).

For some time my iMac Pro has been erratic and slow to respond. I run a lot of applications on it, but the main ones I use (other than basic Mac) are Final Cut Pro, Affinity Suite and ACDSee for Mac.

In Recovery Mode, if I select Macintosh HD with Disk Utility and run First Aid on it, it tells me the volume is corrupt and I should backup the data.

If I then Erase the disk and reinstall a clean copy of Ventura, Disk Utility First Aid reports no issues.

When this happens, would I be right in assuming the Hardware is OK and it's a software issue, or am I over-simplifying it?

Any learned advice would be welcome.

Andy

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 5:57 AM

Hi Andy,

Based on the information you provided, it sounds like your iMac Pro is experiencing a software issue, not a hardware issue. The fact that Disk Utility First Aid reports no issues after you erase the disk and reinstall macOS indicates that the disk itself is not corrupt.

The erratic behavior and slow response you are experiencing could be caused by a number of things, such as:

• Outdated software. Make sure that all of your apps are up to date.
  • Corrupted files. If you have any corrupted files, they can cause your Mac to run slowly or erratically. You can try to repair corrupted files using Disk Utility, but if that doesn't work, you may need to delete the files.
  • Malware. A malware infection can also cause your Mac to run slowly or erratically. You can scan your Mac for malware using a reputable antivirus program.
  • System settings. If your system settings are not configured correctly, they can also cause your Mac to run slowly or erratically. You can try resetting your system settings to their defaults.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2023 5:57 AM in response to andynick

Hi Andy,

Based on the information you provided, it sounds like your iMac Pro is experiencing a software issue, not a hardware issue. The fact that Disk Utility First Aid reports no issues after you erase the disk and reinstall macOS indicates that the disk itself is not corrupt.

The erratic behavior and slow response you are experiencing could be caused by a number of things, such as:

• Outdated software. Make sure that all of your apps are up to date.
  • Corrupted files. If you have any corrupted files, they can cause your Mac to run slowly or erratically. You can try to repair corrupted files using Disk Utility, but if that doesn't work, you may need to delete the files.
  • Malware. A malware infection can also cause your Mac to run slowly or erratically. You can scan your Mac for malware using a reputable antivirus program.
  • System settings. If your system settings are not configured correctly, they can also cause your Mac to run slowly or erratically. You can try resetting your system settings to their defaults.

Troubleshooting my iMac Pro (2017).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.