control V does not work to paste in email headers

I've got a brand new mac book pro running the latest everything. I thought a new computer would fix this issue, but I used a time machine back up and this long time glitch came along with the transfer.

In outlook and mail, ONLY in the email headers, I cannot use control V to paste. I can paste just fine in the body of the email. I also noticed I cannot control V to paste a picture into notes.

Command C and X work fine in all places.

It's beyond frustrating. I can right click and paste in all these situations, but command V will not work.

HELP?!?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 11:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 12:16 AM

Only thing I can think of....

Instead of Cmd-v when trying to paste go to the menu bar Edit drop down and check that CMD-V is displayed next to the "Paste" option. If it's not it means that the keyboard shortcut for Paste has been disabled for the Mail app. You'll have to go to System Settings > Keyboard and edit the shortcut to make it apply to Mail.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2023 12:16 AM in response to jlo1977

Only thing I can think of....

Instead of Cmd-v when trying to paste go to the menu bar Edit drop down and check that CMD-V is displayed next to the "Paste" option. If it's not it means that the keyboard shortcut for Paste has been disabled for the Mail app. You'll have to go to System Settings > Keyboard and edit the shortcut to make it apply to Mail.

Sep 15, 2023 12:39 AM in response to jlo1977

You need to go to Keyboard Shortcuts in System Settings. If you haven't created your own or modifie them then try resetting defaults first. If that doesn't work then you'll have to create a new one specifically for the Mail app.

You have to reference the Menu Elements. Mail-specific shortcut will look like

Mail->Edit->Paste

then add the keys cmd-v

Sep 15, 2023 12:30 AM in response to Zurarczurx

thanks for responding, but command V works in every other application on my computer including in the body of emails in mail and outlook. Only does not work in the headers. And when pasting photos in notes. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I use command V all the time.

I tried to make a shortcut for it, and idk if I did it right, but didn’t help!

control V does not work to paste in email headers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.