iMac as a display with target display mode has stopped working

I've been using an iMac 27" Quad-Core Intel i7 (late 2013) as a target display with my MacBook Pro 13" (2018) 02.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 for over 5 years. It's worked fine but this week it has stopped reconising connecting when I press 'command' + 'f2'. There's obvious no way to check anything in the settings. Any pointers?

Imac - OS Catalina 10.15.7

Macbook Pro - Ventura 13.5.2

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 2:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 2:32 AM

Apple added restrictions to Target Display Mode.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Assuming that you have a proper Thunderbolt connection between your 2018 MacBook Pro and your 27" Late 2013 iMac, your configuration still runs afoul of the restrictions in two ways:

• The version of macOS on your iMac is too new. Has to be High Sierra or earlier. You're running Catalina.
  • The version of macOS on your MBP is too new. Has to be Catalina or earlier. You're running Ventura.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2023 2:32 AM in response to dano1971

Apple added restrictions to Target Display Mode.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Assuming that you have a proper Thunderbolt connection between your 2018 MacBook Pro and your 27" Late 2013 iMac, your configuration still runs afoul of the restrictions in two ways:

• The version of macOS on your iMac is too new. Has to be High Sierra or earlier. You're running Catalina.
  • The version of macOS on your MBP is too new. Has to be Catalina or earlier. You're running Ventura.

iMac as a display with target display mode has stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.