Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Photo booth videos are saving as corrupted/blank files

This is a continuation of this closed thread: Photo booth videos are saving as corrupte… - Apple Community

If I record a video on my mac photo booth that surpasses 3 or 4 minutes it saves as an empty video. 0:00 seconds and I'm unable to play it. This began happening after I updated to MacOS Monterey. I have put my computer into safe mode, changed, users, restarted, deleted photobooth library and made a new one etc. Any help would be great. I've attached a photo as an example.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 2:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 3:02 AM

I was able to recover a large part of my corrupt file by using untrunc run through Docker.

untrunc works by taking a "good" file and remaking the corrupt file based on the good files format.

Basically by following these instructions:

1. Export the corrupt file to a known location, rename it to "corrupt.mov"
  2. Film a new short video that isn't corrupt, export that as well, call it "good.mov" in the same folder
  3. Open Terminal, cd into the directory where you exported the file.
cd ~/corrupt-folder-location
  1. Run "untrunc" using Docker:
docker run -v $(pwd):/video -it synctree/untrunc /video/good.mov /video/corrupt.mov

The resulting file: corrupt.mov_fixed.mp4 worked to play in VLC but not QuickTime.

This actually restored 10 minutes of my 11 minute long recording, so it might help to restore some peoples files.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2023 3:02 AM in response to ErikPerik

I was able to recover a large part of my corrupt file by using untrunc run through Docker.

untrunc works by taking a "good" file and remaking the corrupt file based on the good files format.

Basically by following these instructions:

1. Export the corrupt file to a known location, rename it to "corrupt.mov"
  2. Film a new short video that isn't corrupt, export that as well, call it "good.mov" in the same folder
  3. Open Terminal, cd into the directory where you exported the file.
cd ~/corrupt-folder-location
  1. Run "untrunc" using Docker:
docker run -v $(pwd):/video -it synctree/untrunc /video/good.mov /video/corrupt.mov

The resulting file: corrupt.mov_fixed.mp4 worked to play in VLC but not QuickTime.

This actually restored 10 minutes of my 11 minute long recording, so it might help to restore some peoples files.

Photo booth videos are saving as corrupted/blank files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.