NFC Tags for I phone 12 pro max not working.

I have an iphone 12 pro max. While I know that it has NFC capabilities, I can only access the capabilities through a 3rd party app.

I used to have an android and could make and use tags that I use to automate my home with just a tap. And even the NFC tags that I have created with the 3rd party app on my iphone are not readable except through the 3rd party app.

I am not talking about apple pay, or tap to pay.

I have looked up how to activate it online and it shows the steps of

Settings > Control Center > NFC Tag Reader

But my iphone 12 pro max does not have the setting for NFC Tag Reader. It is literally not there. Even searching from the settings screen does not show anything for NFC.

Any advice?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 6:05 AM

Apple's iOS does have NFC capabilities, but they are primarily used for Apple Pay and other Apple-specific features. The ability to read generic NFC tags without a third-party app is unknown to me on iPhones. However, the capability you mentioned, "NFC Tag Reader" in Control Center, isn't available in iOS.

Sometimes, developers can access more advanced NFC features through Xcode and developer APIs, but this requires some technical knowledge and isn't meant for everyday users.

iOS apps running on supported devices can use NFC scanning to read data from electronic tags attached to real-world objects. For example, a person can scan ...

NFC | Apple Developer Documentation

This sample code project shows how to use Core NFC in an app to read Near Field Communication (NFC) tags of types 1 through 5 that contains NFC Data Exchange ...

Building an NFC Tag-Reader App

An interface for interacting with an NDEF tag. An object that represents an NFC tag object. A set of parameters you use to define the configuration of an NFC ...

Creating NFC Tags from Your iPhone

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2023 6:05 AM in response to JSau1

Apple's iOS does have NFC capabilities, but they are primarily used for Apple Pay and other Apple-specific features. The ability to read generic NFC tags without a third-party app is unknown to me on iPhones. However, the capability you mentioned, "NFC Tag Reader" in Control Center, isn't available in iOS.

Sometimes, developers can access more advanced NFC features through Xcode and developer APIs, but this requires some technical knowledge and isn't meant for everyday users.

iOS apps running on supported devices can use NFC scanning to read data from electronic tags attached to real-world objects. For example, a person can scan ...

NFC | Apple Developer Documentation

This sample code project shows how to use Core NFC in an app to read Near Field Communication (NFC) tags of types 1 through 5 that contains NFC Data Exchange ...

Building an NFC Tag-Reader App

An interface for interacting with an NDEF tag. An object that represents an NFC tag object. A set of parameters you use to define the configuration of an NFC ...

Creating NFC Tags from Your iPhone

NFC Tags for I phone 12 pro max not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.