iPad 10.2 (7th Gen.) without SIM card

I recently replaced my old iPad with a new refurbished one... I was going to move the SIM card from the old one to the new one when I noticed that the old one did not have a SIM card. I mostly use this iPad with WiFi but I do also use it when I'm out and about and don't necessarily have access to WiFi, so I was worried that it wouldn't work until I got a SIM card from my carrier (AT&T) -- and very puzzled as to how my previous iPad was able to work while there was no available Wifi. To verify what would happen if I had no Wifi, I turned off Wifi and turned Cellular ON. My access to websites continued to work normally.

Can anybody explain how it is possible that I can use cellular data if I don't have a SIM card ? Without a SIM card how does AT&T get to know that I used cellular data so they can charge me ?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 12:52 PM

Can anybody explain how it is possible that I can use cellular data if I don't have a SIM card?

Starting in 2018 iPads [with cellular] support eSIM. Contact your cellular service provider and they can disconnect data service from your previous iPad and connect your new one. You can also set up your iPhone as a Wi-Fi hotspot and have your iPad connect to the Internet from there.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2023 12:52 PM in response to lac_roz

Can anybody explain how it is possible that I can use cellular data if I don't have a SIM card?

Starting in 2018 iPads [with cellular] support eSIM. Contact your cellular service provider and they can disconnect data service from your previous iPad and connect your new one. You can also set up your iPhone as a Wi-Fi hotspot and have your iPad connect to the Internet from there.

iPad 10.2 (7th Gen.) without SIM card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.