erase pending with find my iphone

I tried to erase an iPhone with the Find My iPhone app. I got an "erase pending" notification. It has been showing that for over an hour. How long should it take?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 3:09 PM

"Erase pending" can mean several different things. Among them are.....

1) The phone's battery charge has run down

2) The phone does not have a good connection to the Internet where it is currently located

In addition, thieves are very fond of placing stolen phones in a special type of bag that will not allow the phone to either send or receive a signal.

There is not really anything that you can do to control these things. All that you can do is check a few times each day to see if the status of the phone has changed.

The actual erase procedure only takes a minute or two, but the phone needs a good battery charge and good Internet connection for the procedure to occur.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2023 3:09 PM in response to dwsuper

"Erase pending" can mean several different things. Among them are.....

1) The phone's battery charge has run down

2) The phone does not have a good connection to the Internet where it is currently located

In addition, thieves are very fond of placing stolen phones in a special type of bag that will not allow the phone to either send or receive a signal.

There is not really anything that you can do to control these things. All that you can do is check a few times each day to see if the status of the phone has changed.

The actual erase procedure only takes a minute or two, but the phone needs a good battery charge and good Internet connection for the procedure to occur.

erase pending with find my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.