Unable to Reset Password on Login Screen - There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server

Haven't used in a while, believe its due to time and dates off...My password is not working. Now, when I try to reset the password by logging into my iCloud account it gives me an error “There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server”. Even if I try to reset my iCloud ID and password, it says there is no internet connection when my internet is connected to a stable Wi-if network.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 6:23 PM

You can reset login password https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

If you can't reset your password

If you can't reset your Mac login password

Use the Reset Password assistant

You should now see the utilities window, which shows options such as restoring from Time Machine, reinstalling macOS, and using Disk Utility.

1. From the Utilities menu in the menu bar, choose Terminal.
  2. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword, then press Return to open the Reset Password assistant.
  3. If you're asked to select an admin user you know the password for, click “Forgot all passwords?”.
  4. At the Reset Password window, click Deactivate Mac, then click Deactivate to confirm.
  5. If you see an Activation Lock window, enter your Apple ID email and password, then click Next.
  6. At the Reset Password window, enter your new password information, then click Next.
  7. If this window shows multiple user accounts, click the Set Password button next to each account name, then enter the new password information for each account.
  8. When the password reset is completed, click Exit.
  9. Choose Apple menu  > Restart, then log in with your new password .

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2023 6:23 PM in response to joecarter0917

You can reset login password https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

If you can't reset your password

If you can't reset your Mac login password

Use the Reset Password assistant

You should now see the utilities window, which shows options such as restoring from Time Machine, reinstalling macOS, and using Disk Utility.

1. From the Utilities menu in the menu bar, choose Terminal.
  2. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword, then press Return to open the Reset Password assistant.
  3. If you're asked to select an admin user you know the password for, click “Forgot all passwords?”.
  4. At the Reset Password window, click Deactivate Mac, then click Deactivate to confirm.
  5. If you see an Activation Lock window, enter your Apple ID email and password, then click Next.
  6. At the Reset Password window, enter your new password information, then click Next.
  7. If this window shows multiple user accounts, click the Set Password button next to each account name, then enter the new password information for each account.
  8. When the password reset is completed, click Exit.
  9. Choose Apple menu  > Restart, then log in with your new password .

Unable to Reset Password on Login Screen - There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.