Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

corrupt MacOS?

i was following the steps of resetting my y (2017 Catalina) but i accidentally erased something now every time i turn the MacBook on the folder with the question mark shows up. i have also tried to install MacOs using the recovery but its saying its corrupt. help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 6:18 PM

Rfmerch Said:

"corrupt MacOS?: I think I’ve deleted that as it’s not an option"

-------

Verify there is a Disk:

In Disk Utility, is no hard drive seen? In the pane on the far-left, it would be the top listed item. Evening doing below that is what is called a "volume".

Go here: How to Repair a Mac Disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2023 6:18 PM in response to Rfmerch

Rfmerch Said:

"corrupt MacOS?: I think I’ve deleted that as it’s not an option"

-------

Verify there is a Disk:

In Disk Utility, is no hard drive seen? In the pane on the far-left, it would be the top listed item. Evening doing below that is what is called a "volume".

Go here: How to Repair a Mac Disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

Sep 21, 2023 12:47 PM in response to Rfmerch

Rfmerch Said:

"corrupt MacOS?: I think I’ve deleted that as it’s not an option […]No there’s no hard drive seen. One of the steps to reset the the laptop was to go into disk utility and repair all the side options. It said if it doesn’t repair then to erase it. So I think I erased hard drive.

———-

Erase and Install Anew:

Yes there is a hard drive seen —it is the top item on your photo labeled: “APPLE SSD AP02...”. You have selected the volume. So, select the very-top-right (the hard drive)

1. Follow as Instructed Here: Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support
  2. Scroll to: Erase and reinstall macOS
  3. Proceed from there as necessary

Sep 15, 2023 5:27 PM in response to Rfmerch

Rfmerch Said:

"corrupt MacOS?: i was following the steps of resetting my y (2017 Catalina) but i accidentally erased something now every time i turn the MacBook on the folder with the question mark shows up. i have also tried to install MacOs using the recovery but its saying its corrupt. help!"

-------

See a Question Mark?

Go here: If your Mac Starts Up to a Question Mark - Apple Support

Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Hold Down: [Command + R] upon boot). Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seen. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

corrupt MacOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.