Virus Scanner

Hi, pretty new user of Mac and I get a popup when I turn on my Mac that I have a critical virus. I also get popups every now and agin saying I have a virus. Is there a builtin virus that I can use to try sort this?

Thank you

Billy

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 10:41 PM

9 replies

Sep 16, 2023 5:46 AM in response to annettefromedinburgh

annettefromedinburgh Said:

"Virus Scanner: Thanks for your quick response, Have used the Malwarebites and nothing came up, however I am still getting popups telling me I have a virus. Do you know how I can stop these? thanks Billy

———-

Where did you get this Mac? All of this shouldn’t have started, if you’ve just opened it. So, if used then just return it.

As an alternative, back it all up > erase the drive > reinstall the macOS anew, and then use Migration Assistant to get it all back. See if it goes away…

Getting the macOS Back:

Two Major Thoughts:

A. Restore form a Backup:

Did you create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this occurring? Is so, then restore from the backup. If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always backup your Mac, prior making any major changes to your Mac (i.e. upgrading your MacOS).

or...

B. Reinstall the macOS Anew:

The ultimate workaround would be through a new install.

Reinstalling the macOS Anew:

Try This:

1. First, Backup your Mac, then

2. Then, install your macOS Big Sur anew.

3. Finally, migrate it over from the Backup created in step 1

In Depth:

1. Back up your Mac:

Start by Creating a Time Machine Backupof my Mac. That way I could be assured that Incan recover my Mac, should I need the App back or if anything goes wrong due to the removal. So, Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

2. Use a USB Bootable Installer:

Create a USB Bootable Installer for Big Sur. Delete the hard drive's partition. Then, install this macOS with. Go Here: How to Create a Bootable Installer for macOS - Apple Support.

3. Migrate and Reinstall Data and Apps:

Next migrate it over from the Time Machine Backup you created in step 1 to this new install.

Sep 15, 2023 10:43 PM in response to annettefromedinburgh

annettefromedinburgh Said:

"Virus Scanner: Hi, pretty new user of Mac and I get a popup when I turn on my Mac that I have a critical virus. I also get popups every now and agin saying I have a virus. Is there a builtin virus that I can use to try sort this? Thank you Billy"

-------

Troubleshooting Viruses on a Mac:

Viruses:

You wont get a virus on your Mac --so put that concern aside.

B. Malware:

Scan your Mac with Malwarebytes for Mac:

Malwarebytes searches for malware(short for (malicious software) and spyware. Those make your Mac act in a mislead manor. So scan with it, and remove what is found from the quarantine. It is created by longtime users of these forums making it the only reliable Security Software for a Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

Sep 16, 2023 2:15 AM in response to annettefromedinburgh

What browser are you using? Chrome and firefox are having malicious extensions that could cause this popups

Also for Safari I suggest checking your extensions:

Choose Safari > Settings (or Preferences), then click Extensions.

• To turn off an extension, deselect its checkbox.
  • To uninstall an extension, select the extension and click the Uninstall button. If you can't determine what an extension does, or you don't expect to use it again, you should uninstall it.

Virus Scanner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.