Sharing WiFi Passwords

When I try and join a wifi network I get a message something like "if you have another device with access bring it close to share the password" (not exact wording" but then there's something else about "if you are in the contacts list". For example, I've recently changed my home wireless router and yesterday I needed to update my iPad. The iPad is wireless only - no mobile - so the Keychain wouldn't have been updated. When I tried to access the wifi I got the "...bring your other device close..." message but it doesn't work. Both devices have bluetooth enabled, both devices are mine, same iCloud account.

This wasn't an isolated incident - this has never worked. I assume can only assume it's something about the way I have set up my card in the Contacts. Contacts are synched via iCloud, so my card is the same on all my devices. Is there some information that I need to include in my contact card to make this work?

Thanks in advance

iPad mini 4

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 2:53 AM

How to share your Wi-Fi password

1. Make sure your device (the one sharing the password) is unlocked and connected to the Wi-Fi network.
  2. Select the Wi-Fi network on the device you want to connect.
  3. On your device, tap Share Password, then tap Done.

How to share your Wi-Fi password from your iPhone, iPad or ...

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2023 2:53 AM in response to Zurarczurx

How to share your Wi-Fi password

1. Make sure your device (the one sharing the password) is unlocked and connected to the Wi-Fi network.
  2. Select the Wi-Fi network on the device you want to connect.
  3. On your device, tap Share Password, then tap Done.

How to share your Wi-Fi password from your iPhone, iPad or ...

Sharing WiFi Passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.