Unable To SetUp AirTag

I am unable to setup AirTags with either my iPhone 14 (iOS 16.6.1) or my iPad Pro 11" (iOS 1.6.6.1).

I am logged into my Apple account. I am actively updating apps, downloading music, texting, etc.

I have 2FA enabled. I have two brand new AirTags. My first ones. This issue occurs with both AirTags and exactly the same error on both devices.

• Bring the new AirTag close to my iPhone or ipad
  • Unlock the device
  • The AirTag setup window pops up automatically
  • I select "Connect"
  • I accept the first available name, Backpack
  • I Agree to the conditions

it says, "connecting..." for a few seconds, then the error: "Could Not Complete AirTag Setup. To setup this airtag, sign in with your Apple ID in Settings"

A previous poster had the same issue, and the Apple response was unhelpful. It did not address the issue he described. Is there an additional location within Settings where I need to log into my Apple ID? Is this a known issue? How may it be resolved?

iPhone 14

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 12:22 PM

Re: "... My wife successfully setup the AirTag, then removed it from her items ... "

Obviously that's a clue.

There are three items -- FindMy (presumably to include the FindMy Network sub-setting as well), Location Services, and Precision Finding -- listed in "What you need" in this article not addressed in your comments:

Set up your AirTag using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2023 12:22 PM in response to datafreak

Re: "... My wife successfully setup the AirTag, then removed it from her items ... "

Obviously that's a clue.

There are three items -- FindMy (presumably to include the FindMy Network sub-setting as well), Location Services, and Precision Finding -- listed in "What you need" in this article not addressed in your comments:

Set up your AirTag using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Sep 16, 2023 11:49 AM in response to datafreak

UPDATE

The issue persists. I have now also tried:

• Disabling and reenabling Bluetooth on my iphone
  • I rebooted my iphone
  • I removed and reseated the AirTag battery 5-6 times per another post
  • I let the AirTag sit next to my phone for 15 minutes per another post
  • My wife successfully setup the AirTag, then removed it from her items
  • I even went so far as two sign out of my Apple ID on my iPhone and accept the unpleasantness that entails, re-login and waited for everything to recover and re-sync from iCloud

After each step above, I would retest and receive the same error as I posted above

This has been over a period of two days.

Unable To SetUp AirTag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.