Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

By accident I bought a iPhone 11 Locked to Owner.

By accident I bought a iPhone 11 Locked to Owner. I paid a reasonable market price, but I think it was stolen. Can I return the iPhone to the original owner by contacting him/her? Is there a way to send them a message? I already informed the police.

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 1:51 PM

Unless there is a message on the screen letting you know who to contact if this iPhone was found, there is no way for you to contact the rightful owner of the phone.

Since there is NO WAY you can use this iPhone, either recycle the phone responsibly, or turn it over to the local authorities as it's possible the owner filed a stolen report.

Otherwise, the phone is useless to you. Apple does not get involved in lost or stolen devices.

This is an unfortunate buying decision. If you can't see the iPhone before you buy it and know it opens to the Hello Page, NEVER buy a used iPhone from ANYONE.

Read this link too --> The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2023 1:51 PM in response to JorisfromGroningen

Unless there is a message on the screen letting you know who to contact if this iPhone was found, there is no way for you to contact the rightful owner of the phone.

Since there is NO WAY you can use this iPhone, either recycle the phone responsibly, or turn it over to the local authorities as it's possible the owner filed a stolen report.

Otherwise, the phone is useless to you. Apple does not get involved in lost or stolen devices.

This is an unfortunate buying decision. If you can't see the iPhone before you buy it and know it opens to the Hello Page, NEVER buy a used iPhone from ANYONE.

Read this link too --> The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

Sep 16, 2023 2:33 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Yes, I learned an expensive lesson. The seller presented the phone to me in the language installation screen (already turned on). I was not informing myself enough upfront and assumed this was only possible with an lock free phone. So the tip is, Always lock the phone with the side button and turn it back on. Make sure you don't see the Locked to Owner message.

My only hope was that I was able to send a message to the rightful owner telling him/her the phone is ready to be returned. Since there is a partial iCloud account shown (G****@gmail.com), I was hoping to be able to send email to this account (maybe without disclosing the full account name) to inform the owner.

Now I informed the police and posted an advert on the most famous trading place telling the iphone is looking for its owner. Maybe somebody will get lucky.

I just lost 20 euro, but will survive.

Sep 16, 2023 3:29 PM in response to JorisfromGroningen

JorisfromGroningen wrote:

Sorry, that was a Typo. I lost 250 euro.
I agree that I would have been an idiot to assume a phone like that would by 20 euro.

OK....that seems more realistic. I'm afraid the chances of you finding the rightful owner, is very very very slim. But good on you for wanting to help someone out. Especially knowing you're out a good sum of money.

By accident I bought a iPhone 11 Locked to Owner.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.