Synchronizing faces in Photos

I have a lot of pictures in my Photos app (my MacBook says 29,503 pictures, 84 videos, 1 element; my M1 Mini says 29,504 pictures plus 84 videos, so that 'element' probably is 1 strayed picture). Albums etc sync well, but this is not always the case with recognized faces. After adding a number of names to faces on the MacBook, I do not always find them back in the MIni.

Is there a way to 'force recognize' them?

Thanks a lot!

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 10:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 10:34 PM

Are your Mini and MacBook using the same system version?

The face recognition algorithm is different on each system version and your two Macs may not be able to find the same faces, depending on their system version.

But if you are syncing your Macs with iCloud Photos the named faces should be in sync. You may need to use "Confirm Additional faces" in the People albums where some faces are missing.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2023 10:34 PM in response to Mr Moto

Are your Mini and MacBook using the same system version?

The face recognition algorithm is different on each system version and your two Macs may not be able to find the same faces, depending on their system version.

But if you are syncing your Macs with iCloud Photos the named faces should be in sync. You may need to use "Confirm Additional faces" in the People albums where some faces are missing.

Synchronizing faces in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.