Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Why can't I receive or send texts to others who have an android phone on my 2022 12.9 iPad?

When trying to send a text from my iPad, if the receiving person has an android phone, the text will send to fail; however, if I text an iPhone, the text goes with no issues.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 11:59 AM

iMessages don't require a phone to send/receive. SMS/MMS messages do require a phone.

See: What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

You can send SMS/MMS messages to/from an iPad if you also have an iPhone. See: Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2023 11:59 AM in response to Lschinde

iMessages don't require a phone to send/receive. SMS/MMS messages do require a phone.

See: What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

You can send SMS/MMS messages to/from an iPad if you also have an iPhone. See: Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

Why can't I receive or send texts to others who have an android phone on my 2022 12.9 iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.