External CD drive does not accept CDs

New MAC Mini is working well except external CD player rejects all CDs. It is connected directly to the Mini. I tried to use it on my old computer, but the disc will not show up there at all for some reason. It was fine recently.

Mac mini, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 2:46 PM

Beauregardhound Said:

"External CD drive does not accept CDs: New MAC Mini is working well except external CD player rejects all CDs. It is connected directly to the Mini. I tried to use it on my old computer, but the disc will not show up there at all for some reason. It was fine recently"

-------

Troubleshooting Ejecting CD Drive:

Four things to try...

A. Restart the Mac:

Having just plugged this in, restart the Mac. See if you no longer get this issue.

B. Single-Out this User:

For troubleshooting purposes, create a new Administrator user. Log into it, and then see if you get this error. If not, then it is an error with the current user. If so, then it is an error with the entire macOS. Trash this user once this has been tried.

C. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

D. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only) Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2023 2:46 PM in response to Beauregardhound

Beauregardhound Said:

"External CD drive does not accept CDs: New MAC Mini is working well except external CD player rejects all CDs. It is connected directly to the Mini. I tried to use it on my old computer, but the disc will not show up there at all for some reason. It was fine recently"

-------

Troubleshooting Ejecting CD Drive:

Four things to try...

A. Restart the Mac:

Having just plugged this in, restart the Mac. See if you no longer get this issue.

B. Single-Out this User:

For troubleshooting purposes, create a new Administrator user. Log into it, and then see if you get this error. If not, then it is an error with the current user. If so, then it is an error with the entire macOS. Trash this user once this has been tried.

C. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

D. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only) Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

External CD drive does not accept CDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.