Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

HomePod (original) will not enter Setup after I reset it.

The Home App was asking me to re-login but when I tried, the app does not permit me to enter anything into the password field. Apple help said to try to remove HomePod and setup over again. I did so and now when I plug in the HomePod, it will not enter the startup sequence and there is no way via an iPhone or iPad to connect or communicate with the HomePod. So, basically bricked.

HomePod

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 8:52 PM

If it lights up, powers on , chimes, it’s not bricked. Unless the volume lights are flashing. Do the set up with your iPhone. Make sure it’s unlocked. Or restart your iPhone. You can ask Siri to “restart my iphone” if easier.

Unplug HomePod for 10 seconds, plug back in, wait for it to chime and have your unlocked iPhone ready to hold near the HomePod. Prop it up beside the HomePod if needed. Put your iPad in another room or power it off, so it’s not trying to link to that.

Set up HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support

Now. If you only removed it from the home app it might not have cleared all your data in order to set up again. So you might need to reset it by pressing the top method, then try the set up. Reset HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2023 8:52 PM in response to marlowefirst

If it lights up, powers on , chimes, it’s not bricked. Unless the volume lights are flashing. Do the set up with your iPhone. Make sure it’s unlocked. Or restart your iPhone. You can ask Siri to “restart my iphone” if easier.

Unplug HomePod for 10 seconds, plug back in, wait for it to chime and have your unlocked iPhone ready to hold near the HomePod. Prop it up beside the HomePod if needed. Put your iPad in another room or power it off, so it’s not trying to link to that.

Set up HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support

Now. If you only removed it from the home app it might not have cleared all your data in order to set up again. So you might need to reset it by pressing the top method, then try the set up. Reset HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support

Sep 18, 2023 2:46 PM in response to Vancouver22

Pretty much had already done as you state. Oddly enough, the top press did not work yesterday but did today . . so resetting everything and looks good. Still, bloody annoying it all started with this persistent re-login request and a field that did not permit password entry. A tad nervous at how long Gen1 HomePods will work I have already quite using Hey Siri for any Home App actions, using App to turn things on and off or per schedule.

Besides, that, thank you for your reply. Spot on and went back and tried pressing the to to reset after having given up. Cheers.

HomePod (original) will not enter Setup after I reset it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.