Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Related Article: Apple security releases

I want to update my iPhone to iOS 15

I wanted to download google chat but my iPhone was required that I should update my iPhone

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 11:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 11:35 PM

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

• If you have an iPhone 5S or 6/6plus, the highest you can update to is 12.5.7

• If you have an iPhone 6S through 7, or SE 1st generation, you can update to 15.7.9

• If you have an iPhone 8 or higher, or SE 2nd or 3rd generation,you can update to 16.6.1

Go to Settings > General > Software Update.

This link will show you how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using WiFi -

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

This link will show you how to update using your computer -

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2023 11:35 PM in response to awolola99

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

• If you have an iPhone 5S or 6/6plus, the highest you can update to is 12.5.7

• If you have an iPhone 6S through 7, or SE 1st generation, you can update to 15.7.9

• If you have an iPhone 8 or higher, or SE 2nd or 3rd generation,you can update to 16.6.1

Go to Settings > General > Software Update.

This link will show you how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using WiFi -

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

This link will show you how to update using your computer -

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

Sep 17, 2023 11:33 PM in response to awolola99

You cannot pick and choose an iOS version. What you get is Settings > General > Software update > [All options are available here]

If iOS updates are no longer being released for your device, it typically means that the device has reached its end of life in terms of software support from Apple. In such cases, there are a few options you can consider:

1. Although major iOS updates may no longer be available, Apple may continue to release security updates for older devices. Ensure that your device is running the latest available version of iOS for its generation to maintain the highest level of security.
  2. As iOS versions advance, some newer apps may not be compatible with older iOS versions. You may need to rely on older versions of apps or find alternative apps that are compatible with your device's iOS version.
    1. Ask the App developer to release the app for lower iOS versions also. Netflix & Amazon has done it.

3. If your device is no longer receiving software updates, it may be a good time to consider upgrading to a newer device that is supported by the latest iOS updates. Upgrading to a newer device will ensure that you continue to receive the latest features, security updates, and app compatibility. Selection of a mobile model/brand is driv… - Apple Community

Remember to regularly back up your data to avoid losing any important information during the transition to a new device.

It's worth noting that the availability of updates and options may vary depending on the specific device model and its hardware capabilities.

I want to update my iPhone to iOS 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.