Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Safari Feature Flags

iphone 12 Pro Max in settings and selected Safari, I scrolled down to the bottom there is an option called Feature Flags, what are feature flags formally called Experimental options?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 1:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2023 4:00 PM

My phone was just factory reset due to major security/privacy issues and it is also called "feature flags"

I'm on the latest iOS and a brand new Apple ID

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2023 4:00 PM in response to SravanKrA

My phone was just factory reset due to major security/privacy issues and it is also called "feature flags"

I'm on the latest iOS and a brand new Apple ID

Mar 31, 2024 2:19 AM in response to Youusonapple

Sadly, I'm not answering your question either, bcuz... I pretty much have the same question as you!!

What the heck are these Webkit Feature Flags?

And why did they change from Experimental Features?

I recently changed from iPhone 8 to iPhone 14, but on the iPhone 8 when you click on Advanced and scroll to the bottom, it still takes you to: "Experimental Features"!

But, on the iPhone 14, all those unexplained "Experimental Features" are now called: "Webkit Feature Flags"!

I didn't have a clue what the Experimental Features were and/or what their purpose was for on my iPhone 8, just as I now have no flippin clue as to what the heck all these "Webkit Feature Flags" are, and/or, what the heck they are for on this iPhone 14???

But, there is an option at the bottom that says: "Reset All to Defaults"..?

I wonder what would happen IF I were to do so???

Being not very technically inclined, I'm sooo afraid to do anything bcuz I'm scared I'll really mess up the phone...

But, I'd still really like to know What "Webkit Feature Flags" are, and IF we really need all those features to be Turned On or Not, bcuz I sure as heck didn't click on any of them in order to Turn any of them On!?!

I'd also like to know What will happen IF I were to Reset All to Defaults???

And, with there being sooo many of these Webkit Feature Flags already Turned On, IF I were to actually Reset them Back to Default, I'd never be able to Remember which ones were On or Not IF they were Needed to be set back to the way they were/are as of now!?

Well, Thanks for the Thread! Hopefully someone will actually answer the question and let us know WHAT They Are and WHAT Each of Their Purpose Is, and IF it's ok to "Reset" them All "Back to Defaults" to However they Once Were! That is, IF they were set Differently at one time?

Anyway, Ciao for now and Happy Easter 2024.....

Mar 31, 2024 4:26 AM in response to Kaycee-1

Kaycee-1 wrote: "I have absolutely No Idea of what they are or what their purpose is for???"

A search engine found this:

"WebKit provides a way to expose a feature flag to a client application at runtime, and have that application toggle the feature. This lets us to start work on experimental features without fully exposing them to the Web, but allows Web developers to turn them on and test." Source:

Feature Flags – WebKit

õ¿õ¬

Apr 2, 2024 7:36 PM in response to Kaycee-1

Thanks for the info Alancito!

So, my next question is...

Is it ok and/or Safe to click on the "Reset All to Defaults" and, will anything bad happen to my iPhone IF I do so?

I'm just wondering with all the hundreds of these Feature Flags IF they're Useful to myself or IF taking up space on my iPhone?

And true confession here, I'm not very technically inclined, so my questions may even sound bizarre to those of you who do know all about cell phones and the internet etc...

The only reason I have an iPhone 14 is bcuz that's what my kids have, and they said that, if I get the iPhone 14, then that way they could help me with some of the smaller issues. However, like myself, they have absolutely No Clue regarding these Feature Flags!!

Thanks in Advance...

Apr 3, 2024 12:52 AM in response to Kaycee-1

Kaycee-1 wrote: "...Is it ok and/or Safe to click on the "Reset All to Defaults"

Yes.

"...and, will anything bad happen to my iPhone IF I do so?"

No.

"I'm just wondering with all the hundreds of these Feature Flags IF they're Useful to myself or IF taking up space on my iPhone?"

Some of them are necessary for some websites to display / function correctly.

õ¿õ¬

Safari Feature Flags

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.