Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Alternatives to QuickTime 7 Pro?

Hi. I just migrated from Mojave to Ventura. I’m sorry to lose QuickTime 7 Pro, although I’ve found a couple of programs that can replicate most of the functions I used to use regularly. For example, I use IINA for playlists of clips, and I use Shutter Encoder for converting to other codecs.

But one function of QT7 Pro has been tricky to replace: The ease to isolate smaller portions and paste as a fresh clip. It was like FCP7 Lite: If I’m watching a long clip and want to subclip it, I just hit Mark In and then a Mark Out, Copy and Paste it into a fresh QT clip and Save As. Easy peasy and FAST. (I might pull a dozen or so fragments from a larger clip, as part of my reviewing process.) But I’ve yet to find another player with this function. I bet I can approximate it in Shutter Encoder, but it’s cumbersome. While I’m trying to master that (I’ll report back if I crack the code), does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a player I’m missing? My brief exposure to FCPX leads me to believe that this isn’t such an easy thing to do, but maybe I’m wrong? (Does FCPX make “subclips”?) iMovie? I have very little knowledge of this program. Going into Premiere Pro may be an option, but the license isn’t free and it’s more work than I’d like to do. Again: It was so fast and easy to do this in QTPro 7, incl opening the clips and saving the new ones.

Have others pined over the loss of QT7 Pro? It was one of the reasons I stayed with Mojave for so long. Where can I voice my opinion to Apple that I’d be grateful if they created a new player that included those functions.

Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Stephen Altobello1 wrote:

Have others pined over the loss of QT7 Pro? It was one of the reasons I stayed with Mojave for so long.

Sorry, didn't even know it was gone. ;-)

Where can I voice my opinion to Apple that I’d be grateful if they created a new player that included those functions.

You can use the Feedback page:

Product Feedback - Apple

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2023 2:21 PM in response to Stephen Altobello1

Stephen Altobello1 wrote:

Have others pined over the loss of QT7 Pro? It was one of the reasons I stayed with Mojave for so long.

Where can I voice my opinion to Apple that I’d be grateful if they created a new player that included those functions.

You can use the Feedback page:

Product Feedback - Apple

Sep 18, 2023 4:22 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yes, I figured I wasn't alone in feeling this way, but I'm a little out of the loop. Now that I do a little more research on the boards, it looks like people have been mourning the loss of this application for years.

Alternatives to QuickTime 7 Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.