Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

My Apple Watch Series 5 not charging .when I put on charger apple logo appears and red charging symbol Comes and charges up to 1% only

Apple Watch not charging when I put it on charger APPLE logo appears after that red charging symbol comes but it charges up to 1% only,

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 9

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 5:08 PM

This recently happened to me with my Series 7. It turned out that I needed a new charging cable—the original one had stopped working.

To determine what’s going on, first go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health on your watch. Scroll down to Maximum Capacity. If it’s higher than 80%, than the problem is something other than your battery. If it’s below 80%, it’s time to replace the battery.

Now, if the capacity looks good. Make sure the charger is plugged into a wall outlet and if so, try another outlet. It could also be the charging brick or cable—if you have another or can borrow one, try that and see if your watch charges.

Hopefully, this helps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2023 5:08 PM in response to 123_3

This recently happened to me with my Series 7. It turned out that I needed a new charging cable—the original one had stopped working.

To determine what’s going on, first go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health on your watch. Scroll down to Maximum Capacity. If it’s higher than 80%, than the problem is something other than your battery. If it’s below 80%, it’s time to replace the battery.

Now, if the capacity looks good. Make sure the charger is plugged into a wall outlet and if so, try another outlet. It could also be the charging brick or cable—if you have another or can borrow one, try that and see if your watch charges.

Hopefully, this helps.

Sep 20, 2023 9:37 AM in response to LD150

You're right!

Try using another charging cable and/or charging brick. And if that charges the watch to where you can check your battery health--great!

Personally, this exact issue happened to me and it ended up being the charging cable. It took me a few tries to figure it out--first tried a different wall out with the same brick & cable, then tried a different charging brick with the same cable, and finally borrowed a different cable with a different brick from a friend (which worked.)

So I used that cable with my own brick and the watch continued to charge--so long story short, it was the charging cable that needed replacement. Also checked the battery health once it was charged sufficiently, and the capacity was around 90% so I knew the problem wasn't the battery itself.

So it may take some attempts to isolate the problem.

My Apple Watch Series 5 not charging .when I put on charger apple logo appears and red charging symbol Comes and charges up to 1% only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.