Can I delete large messages conversations off of iCloud but keep them on my phone?

I have the standard 5GB of iCloud storage however it's always full due to the large amount of data (photos) shared via messages. I would like to keep these photos in messages but delete them off of the iCloud server to free up space. Is this a possibility or do I have to save the photos to my camera roll then delete them completely from messages?

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 12:40 PM

If you have iCloud Syncing for Messages enabled, if you delete messages from one device, they get deleted from all devices.

Set up iCloud for Messages on all your devices - Apple Support

You could turn off iCloud Syncing. But, honesty, I'd spring for the .99/month for 50 G.

And, you can't access Messages directly through iCloud.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2023 12:40 PM in response to Stickytech

If you have iCloud Syncing for Messages enabled, if you delete messages from one device, they get deleted from all devices.

Set up iCloud for Messages on all your devices - Apple Support

You could turn off iCloud Syncing. But, honesty, I'd spring for the .99/month for 50 G.

And, you can't access Messages directly through iCloud.

Can I delete large messages conversations off of iCloud but keep them on my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.