Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Passcode not working after upgrading to iOS 17

My 4 digit passcode is not working after upgrading to iOS 17 on my iPhone 14 pro max. I have been using this passcode for over 4 months but it stopped working after the upgrade.

Is there an option i can use to reset the passcode without having to erase data on my iPhone.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 3:11 PM

Hi there team,

Since the upgrade my passcode has also stopped working (have used the same passcode for a decade, so no i have not changed it, and no nobody else has access to the phone). I need a fix that doesn't involve wiping the device please.

9 replies

Jan 23, 2024 7:45 PM in response to nicodemus161

Hi,

Typically, an iOS upgrade should not cause the device passcode to become invalid. You can try the following steps to fix the problem:

Re-enter the passcode: Make sure you have entered the passcode correctly. It is possible that the passcode was rejected due to a typing error.

Restart your device: Try restarting your iPhone, sometimes this can solve some temporary problems.

Reset Passcode: iOS 17 offers the option to reset your passcode on-screen without wiping your iPhone, but this only works for 72 hours after changing your passcode. Assuming your passcode was accidentally changed, you can enter your previous passcode to reset a new one within the expiration date, and then use the new passcode to sign in to unlock your device.

This may be an iOS 17 bug, if your device does not currently have the latest iOS version installed, try upgrading to the latest version to see if this error is fixed.

If none of the above methods work, then you'll have to erase the iPhone.

Reference sources:

1. If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or Security Lockout screen - Apple Support (CA)
  2. https://www.isunshare.com/iphone-ipad/how-to-fix-iphone-passcode-not-working.html

Sep 25, 2023 1:09 PM in response to nicodemus161

Hello nicodemus161,

If you forgot the passcode or the passcode isn't work, you'd still need to take these related steps for a solution: If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or Security Lockout screen

If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or Security Lockout screen

If you forgot your passcode, you can use your Apple ID and password to erase and reset your device without a computer.

Before you reset your device

* You need to have a device that's using iOS 15.2 or iPadOS 15.2 or later.

* Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch needs to be connected to a cellular or Wi-Fi network.*

* You'll need your Apple ID and password that you used to set up your device.

* If you restart your device when you see "Security Lockout" on the Lock Screen, you won't be able to reconnect to a Wi-Fi network until your device is unlocked. Cellular devices will reconnect to a cellular network if you have active service.

How to reset your device in iOS 17

If you're using an eSIM on iOS 16 or earlier, contact your carrier before trying these steps and ask for a QR code to set up your eSIM again.

1. From your device's Lock Screen, try to enter your passcode until the "[Device] Unavailable" screen appears and your device asks you to try again later.

2. When you're able to, tap the Forgot Passcode? option in the bottom corner of the screen.

The iPhone Unavailable screen in iOS 17 or later includes a Forgot Passcode? option.
3. On the Security Lockout screen, tap Start [Device] Reset to confirm.

4. Enter your Apple ID password to sign out of your Apple ID on your device.

5. Tap Erase [Device] to permanently delete all of your data and settings. If you use an eSIM with iOS 17 or later, you can also choose to keep your eSIM and erase your data, or to delete your eSIM and erase your data.

When you go through the process to reset your passcode in iOS 17 and later, you can choose to keep your eSIM or delete your eSIM.

6. When your device restart, follow the onscreen instructions to set up your device again, restore your data and setting from a backup, and set a new passcode.

If you can't follow these steps, you can use a computer to reset your device.

You can only reach the "Security Lockout" screen if you have an active cellular or Wi-Fi connection and previously enabled Find My on your device. After you try to enter your password ten times, your device will either erase itself or show Security Lockout and the Forgot Passcode? option without a timer, depending on how you previously set up your device. 

If you recently changed passcodes, use your old passcode to temporarily sign in

When you change your passcode in iOS 17 and later, Passcode Reset gives you 72 hours when your old iPhone passcode can be used to sign in to your phone. When you sign in to your iPhone this way, you must immediately change your passcode again.

To use Passcode Reset:

1. From your device's Lock Screen, try to enter your passcode until the "[Device] Unavailable" screen appears and your device asks you to try again later.

2. When you're able to, tap the Forgot Passcode? option in the bottom corner of the screen.

3. Tap Try Passcode Reset.

4. Enter your old passcode then follow the onscreen instructions to set a new passcode.

When you change your passcode in iOS 17 or later, you can temporarily use an old passcode to unlock your device.

If you can't reset your device

* Use a computer to reset your iPhone.
* Use a computer to reset your iPad.
* Use a computer to reset your iPod touch.

Hoping this helps out.

Take care.

Passcode not working after upgrading to iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.