Security Alert - Junk email notices

I have been receiving a number of junk emails, on my comcast account, informing me that i have a number of virus that have been found on my MacBook Pro. I haven't opened these emails to get any details but I'm not sure what I should do to have my devise scanned or checked for viruses or if I should just continue erasing my Junk Mail?

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 10:37 AM

4 replies

Sep 20, 2023 10:58 AM in response to craigfrommendon

craigfrommendon wrote:

Thank you! So I shouldn't worry about getting my MacBook scanned for viruses, malware, trojan or any thing else that would be harmful to my operating system, correct?

Third party AntiVirus is not recommended— it typically does nothing but add issues to the macOS and competes directly with Apple’s own built in security:

macOS - Security - Apple macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

all known to caues issues on the macOS

please bone up on spam

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams

Sep 20, 2023 11:05 AM in response to craigfrommendon

Correct, as leroydouglas has already provided details for.

There are no Mac viruses. Very literally, none. There are plenty of Trojans, which is malware the user has to choose to download and install. It can't get there by itself. And AV software will do nothing to stop you from installing or running Trojans since they can't know what it is until you do. And then it's too late.

In short, all third party AV software is 100% useless. All they do is cost you money, take up system resources doing nothing useful, and slow everything down.

Security Alert - Junk email notices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.