New hard drive question about disk allocation

I’m about to replace my existing hard drive and want a seemless transition between the two. I am an audio engineer so a lot of my templates are built around disk allocation for various files and programs. If i name the new drive the exact same name as my old drive, will the system automatically link those files? Or is each drive seen as different regardless of name?

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 4:51 AM

That really depends on the software that depends on it and its licensing scheme. Some are sensitive to new hardware, others are not. Apple's own software licenses are not drive based. But the T2 chip may get confused if the boot system changes. So be sure to disable security boot temporarily while you do this.

Mac computers with the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support

And turn off Filevault first as well.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2023 4:51 AM in response to dbrickproductions

That really depends on the software that depends on it and its licensing scheme. Some are sensitive to new hardware, others are not. Apple's own software licenses are not drive based. But the T2 chip may get confused if the boot system changes. So be sure to disable security boot temporarily while you do this.

Mac computers with the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support

And turn off Filevault first as well.

New hard drive question about disk allocation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.