Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

"On iPhone" button missing in Music app with watchOS 10

Before this latest watchOS update, there used to be a button in the Music app that allowed you to browse your iPhone's local library and play any song/playlist/album. I use this function all the time to play my music and the fact that it's missing kills one of the main uses I have for the watch. When I browse my library using the Library button, all of the individual playlists/albums/songs have the play button greyed out. The only option to play music is using the shuffle button which is not ideal. Is there some sort of alternate method to access and play music from my iPhone now?

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 9:54 PM

8 replies

Oct 3, 2023 8:09 PM in response to ichikasuto

Hi ichikasuto,

In comparing the options under "Play Music" for watchOS 9 and watchOS 10 on the first page that was recommended to you, note that this section:

• "Play music from iPhone (Bluetooth pairing not required): Scroll to the top of the screen, tap On iPhone, then tap a playlist, artist, album, or song to play it."

appears on the watchOS 9 page Play music on Apple Watch but is not present in the watchOS 10 page which does add the option of:

• "Search the Apple Music library: Tap Search, enter an album, artist, or song, then tap Search. Tap a result to play it."

As it would appear the function you're referring to is no longer listed for watchOS 10, you may submit feedback using Feedback - Watch.

Regards.

Sep 25, 2023 4:18 PM in response to ichikasuto

Hello ichikasuto,

Please check out this link, which explains how to play music on your Apple Watch, and outlines the current available options, which may be helpful: Play music on Apple Watch

Play music

The Music app shows the Listen Now screen with one album showing. A More Options button is to the right. A download button is below. At the top right is the Now Playing button. A Back button is at the top left.

After you connect Apple Watch to Bluetooth headphones or speakers, open the Music app  on your Apple Watch, then do any of the following:

* Play music on your Apple Watch: Turn the Digital Crown to scroll through the Listen Now screen, then tap an album, playlist, or category.
* Use the Apple Watch app on your iPhone to choose which songs to add to Apple Watch.
* Play music from your music library: From the Listen Now screen, tap the Back button, tap Library, tap a category such as Playlists, Albums, Downloaded, or a recently added item, then choose music.
* Request music from Apple Music (Apple Music or Apple Music Voice subscription required): Raise your wrist, then request an artist, album, song, genre, or portion of a song lyric.
* Search the Apple Music library: Tap Search, enter an album, artist, or song, then tap Search. Tap a result to play it.

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2023 6:58 PM in response to ichikasuto

Hello ichikasuto,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

If the songs are greyed out, that means they are unavailable for some reason. To start, follow the guidance under "Song is grayed out" here: If songs are missing from your music library after you turn on Sync Library - Apple Support

Also, we suggest making sure the songs play as expected when playing from the iPhone.

Kindest regards.

Sep 26, 2023 10:36 AM in response to ichikasuto

Hi ichikasuto,

Do you have the music available still? If so, it see if removing the music from the Apple Watch and then re-syncing it from the iPhone clears up the behavior. Here's how to remove music from Apple Watch:

Remove music from Apple Watch - Apple Support

Remove music using your iPhone
1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
2. Tap My Watch, tap Music, then do any of the following:
* For music you’ve added: Tap Edit, then tap the Delete button next to the items you want to remove.

Here's how to add the music back: Add music to Apple Watch - Apple Support

Add music using your iPhone
1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
2. Tap My Watch, then tap Music.
3. Below Playlists & Albums, tap Add Music.
4. Navigate to albums and playlists you want to sync to your Apple Watch, then tap the Add button to add them to the Playlists & Albums queue.

Music is added when Apple Watch is near your iPhone.

Kind regards.

Sep 25, 2023 4:26 PM in response to Brittany1416

This unfortunately doesn't help. The only relevant section for playing a local music library from the iPhone using the watch (Play music from your music library) doesn't work since when following the steps shows all of the music as greyed out. Before watchOS 10, the flow used to be: open Music app -> tap On iPhone -> tap Library -> tap category (Playlists, Albums, etc.) -> choose music. This worked completely fine but the On iPhone button has been removed with watchOS 10 with no good alternate method as far as I'm aware.

"On iPhone" button missing in Music app with watchOS 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.