Can you still use your apple watch when it's out of proximity to your iPhone?

I have a apple watch and it's linked to my iPhone, but if I link it, will it work if I physically move a certain distance form my iPhone?

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 10:05 AM

Certain features can work while away form the paired iPhone.

If its a Cellular model with a service plan or is connected to Wi-Fi, most features will work when away from the paired iPhone.

click here ➜ Use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

4 replies

Sep 21, 2023 11:30 AM in response to Phil0124

In the link provided by Phil0124, pay close attention to the footnotes, as they are important if you plan on using SMS/MMS TEXTing.

You can look at the Digital Crown and if it has a Red Ring ⭕️, then it is a cellular model, and if your iPhone cellular carrier supports the iPhone, then you can pay about $10 U.S. per month on your iPhone bill to activate the cellular radio on your Apple Watch.

If there is not Red Ring, then you have a GPS only model, and that will still work away from your iPhone and away from WiFi, but fewer features will work. Nothing that needs the Internet will work (phone calls, messaging, email, Walkie-Talkie, FaceTime audio calls, etc... will not work away from the iPhone on a GPS only Apple Watch). But it will still track your exercise and upload that data to the iPhone when you get back home. If you transfer music or podcasts directly to the Apple Watch, then you cause listen to that away from your iPhone as well.

Can you still use your apple watch when it's out of proximity to your iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.