You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update Failed - iOS 16.7

I’m trying to download the ios 16.7 update and it shows error in downloading the update

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 11:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 4:24 PM

Hello ~ In your case the message shows you don’t have enough storage for the update. Click on below ….

If your iPhone or iPad won't update - Apple Support*

*If there's not enough space to update

If there isn't enough space to download and install an update, the software on your device will try to make space. It will remove only app data that it can download again and doesn't remove or relocate any of your data. If your device still doesn't have enough space, you can use your computer to update your device.

If you can't connect your device to your computer, you can make room for the update by removing content and apps on your device that you don't use. Go to Settings > General > [Device name] Storage.

Learn more about the space your apps and content use.

~Katana-San~

23 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2023 4:24 PM in response to CrazyMommaBear

Hello ~ In your case the message shows you don’t have enough storage for the update. Click on below ….

If your iPhone or iPad won't update - Apple Support*

*If there's not enough space to update

If there isn't enough space to download and install an update, the software on your device will try to make space. It will remove only app data that it can download again and doesn't remove or relocate any of your data. If your device still doesn't have enough space, you can use your computer to update your device.

If you can't connect your device to your computer, you can make room for the update by removing content and apps on your device that you don't use. Go to Settings > General > [Device name] Storage.

Learn more about the space your apps and content use.

~Katana-San~

Nov 27, 2023 9:18 AM in response to Modzy

I also got this error. Searching the error suggested the update requires 8 GB free. That may be the case with previous iOS. 16.7 I found i had to go to settings iPhone Storage which lists all apps consuming space. I then started clicking Offload App. After I freed between 10 GB and 12 GB : with the iPhone plugged in, with Wi-Fi enabled and connected, not in low power mode, and I used control center to deselect cellular because it kept asking if you disconnect from wifi do you want to use cellular to download? But I did not want nor was deselecting Wi-Fi so instead I deselected Cellular and had just Wi-Fi and that question went away. On the tenth try after trying soft reset, regular reboot, and Offload App on lots of apps it finally fully downloaded and had Install Now listed.

Software Update Failed - iOS 16.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.