You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new wired EarPods doesn't work on my MacBook

The new usb-c wired EarPods don't work even though my computer meets the requirements (M1 MacBook Pro on Ventura 13.6). Is there some missing piece to set these up? Do I just have a defective product?

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 12:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 4:20 PM

Hi eudaimonious,

It may be that your EarPods aren't selected as the sound output source on your MacBook Pro.

You can select an output source by going to System Settings > Sound. In the Sound settings, you should see a section labeled "Output & Input" that includes a list of available sound devices. Make sure you click the Output tab at the top of that list, then select your EarPods. They should be available as an output source as long as they're connected to the MacBook Pro.

Check out this article for more information: Change the sound output settings on Mac - Apple Support

You can also change your Mac's sound output source using Control Center in the menu bar. To do so, open Control Center, then click on the Sound tile. This will open a list of available sound output devices from which you can choose your connected EarPods. For reference, this article covers using Control Center on your Mac: Use Control Center on Mac - Apple Support

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 25, 2023 4:20 PM in response to eudaimonious

Hi eudaimonious,

It may be that your EarPods aren't selected as the sound output source on your MacBook Pro.

You can select an output source by going to System Settings > Sound. In the Sound settings, you should see a section labeled "Output & Input" that includes a list of available sound devices. Make sure you click the Output tab at the top of that list, then select your EarPods. They should be available as an output source as long as they're connected to the MacBook Pro.

Check out this article for more information: Change the sound output settings on Mac - Apple Support

You can also change your Mac's sound output source using Control Center in the menu bar. To do so, open Control Center, then click on the Sound tile. This will open a list of available sound output devices from which you can choose your connected EarPods. For reference, this article covers using Control Center on your Mac: Use Control Center on Mac - Apple Support

Cheers!

May 24, 2024 11:56 AM in response to eudaimonious

Please spare us your cheers. Everything is set to Earpods, and sound remains inaudible. Volume turned up everywhere: in settings, in menu bar, on keyboard. Using a brand-new 2024 M3 Macbook Pro, OS 14.5 (23F79).

Please offer some real troubleshooting, not the obvious instructions, or admit that there's a bug and fix it. (Even if there weren't one, for as long as there have been Macs there has NEVER been a need to change Sound settings when plugging in a headset bit mini-plug. The switch to USB-C is disastrous. Is this is a plot to make us buy AirPods? Thank God there's still a mini-plug port: it works.) USB-C seems to confuse output with Airplay, even when Airplay is de-selected. It's a mess.

My new wired EarPods doesn't work on my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.