apple watch ultra 2 purchased in EU would the cellular connection work in US

I'm purchasing the new ultra 2 in EU and curious to know would it work in US or could I use my US T-Mobile number on it in roaming mode

Apple Watch Ultra

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 12:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 1:59 AM

Apple's list of compatible devices and networks shows the same version A2986 is valid for USA and most other/worldwide networks except China which gets its own range of numbers.

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

Note - best advice is to buy in your "home" region where you will spend most of your time because it makes any potential warranty claim easier.

However, there are two caveats

1. Networks might refuse or be unable to activate a device not marketed within their region.
  2. The new networks list (linked above) now only lists the new models, and they have the same model numbers for USA and other regions. Previous versions (Series 3-Series 8) had different versions for different regions and frequencies because Apple couldn't fit components for all regions into the limited space available. Either they have made a huge tech breakthrough (good) -OR- someone has been a little over-enthusiastic in the editing.

I will get some more indication when my AW9 is delivered today and I can check the model number to see whether the implied one size fits all is correct.

Update: As I wrote that my new AW9 Cellular was delivered and the box shows A2984, consistent with the support doc for one size fits all regions except China. This is for Series 9 rather than Ultra but it suggests the listed numbers are not an error.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2023 1:59 AM in response to goranrice

Apple's list of compatible devices and networks shows the same version A2986 is valid for USA and most other/worldwide networks except China which gets its own range of numbers.

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

Note - best advice is to buy in your "home" region where you will spend most of your time because it makes any potential warranty claim easier.

However, there are two caveats

1. Networks might refuse or be unable to activate a device not marketed within their region.
  2. The new networks list (linked above) now only lists the new models, and they have the same model numbers for USA and other regions. Previous versions (Series 3-Series 8) had different versions for different regions and frequencies because Apple couldn't fit components for all regions into the limited space available. Either they have made a huge tech breakthrough (good) -OR- someone has been a little over-enthusiastic in the editing.

I will get some more indication when my AW9 is delivered today and I can check the model number to see whether the implied one size fits all is correct.

Update: As I wrote that my new AW9 Cellular was delivered and the box shows A2984, consistent with the support doc for one size fits all regions except China. This is for Series 9 rather than Ultra but it suggests the listed numbers are not an error.

apple watch ultra 2 purchased in EU would the cellular connection work in US

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.