📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad OS 17 HDMI out not working

Just updated to OS17 on iPad - seems good until tried HDMI lighting out and no video or audio. Tested with multiple HDMI cables - no luck. Cables and dongle work with devices NOT yet upgraded to OS17.

This is not an app issue. There is ZERO video or audio.

A search shows that this problem seems to crop up with previous updates.

Help?

iPad Pro (4th generation)

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 6:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2023 11:23 AM

THIS WORKED thank you!! My lightening to HDMI connection stopped working right after I did the 17.1.2 update. After reading your comment I restarted my iPhone 13 Pro while connected by the Lightning to HDMI cable to my Insignia LED TV, and was able to continue streaming HBO Max.

18 replies

Jan 13, 2024 7:37 PM in response to cptnrandy

My situation is SO frustrating. I plug in the adapter and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. There is no way to predict.

I thought whatever update I had (now 17.1.2) fixed the problem. But today I couldn’t get it to work no matter what I did. Unplug/plug it in a bunch of times, hard restart of my device, nothing. I was about to give up watching and then it magically worked.

Absolutely no rhyme or reason on this. I have no idea what to do. Frustrating as ****!!!

Sep 22, 2023 6:36 AM in response to cptnrandy

For what it's worth, having tested connection of iPad Pro models with an external monitor via both a USB-C to HDMI Adapter - and a USB-C hub with in integrated HDMI port, I've not encountered any issues of this nature with iPadOS 17.x.

If you are experiencing difficulties having performed the update, try a forced-restart of your iPad - as this will often clear post-update or isolated software issues:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If you continue to experience difficulties after performing a restart, you might be well advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page.

Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Sep 23, 2023 9:58 AM in response to cptnrandy

I figured out that I need to restart my IPad with the HDMI connected via the Satechi pro that I am using into the IPad and then it seems to sync with the monitor. I know some monitors may be picky on HDMIs. Now I am able to see a screen and not just a mirror image. I have stage manage working but I have to force restart the iPad every time I have to use the external monitor once I connect it.

So try keeping all connections in place and then restarting. That’s how I finally saw an option for arrangement of screens and turning off mirroring of the IPad screen.

Hope this helps and this issue in IPad OS can get solved soon as restarting every time is starting to get old.

Here is a post I did before.

I just got a new monitor from Dell S3422DWG and when I connect it via HDMI I can only see a mirror image of the iPads screen. The monitor is a UHD 4K monitor. I was previously using another monitor LG 35WN65C-B  with stage manager and it was working flawlessly. 

Now I don’t have any options and mirror is the only thing I’m see on the Dell monitor. No other options and it’s like previous generations where it mirrors at a low resolution.

Do you know if there is a list of monitors that are Not compatible with IPadOS 17.1? Second guessing why I got an iPad if it can’t even connect to an external monitor. iPad is still not ready to compete with a Mac quite yet. My old 2014 Mac book air connects properly as another control. 

Have you tried or have you experienced the only mirror issue? Any thoughts on resolving this issue? 

Note: I have tried resetting both monitor and iPad. Actually erased the entire iPad thinking that might fix it but to no avail.

Oct 10, 2023 9:04 AM in response to cptnrandy

It looks like there is a possible bug with the OS 17 update. I found if trying to mirror with the computer, if you press mirror again, it will show up. I haven't found a temporary fix on the iPad. Hopefully there will be an update to fix this update bug. I listed the Apple TV link that talks about the bug.

Apple TV main screen blank after i… | Apple Developer Forums

Oct 26, 2023 9:13 PM in response to hannu84

I have the same issues with iPadOS 17.1 YouTube app not giving audio out via HDMI at all, Spotify works if you have it playing a song when you connect the usb-c cable, but not if you have it connected and start the app. Very disappointing reactions on the matter from Apple, one would expect quicker reaction since their updates broke something that was working earlier.

Oct 15, 2023 10:53 PM in response to cptnrandy

I'm running on iPadOS 17.0.3. (iPad Pro 11-inch, 4th gen.). I have my ipad connected to an HDMI mixer (Atem Mini Pro), once i force restart the ipad connected to the dongle I det a sound via the HDMI twice when it starts, one of those os sounds when you start the device, clearly also visible via the audio bars. Once I start any app, I won't get anything out. If I then go to settings and play with ringtones, I get them out via the HDMI and have them clearly visible in the audio meter. If I use Safari or Chrome to watch YouTube videos, I get the audio, if I launch an app, Youtube or Spotify, I get nothing.

Jan 13, 2024 10:16 PM in response to TexanInParis

Update: I am able to connect both MIDI and Audio via Bluetooth, but to get the Audio Out (similar to HDMI issue), I have to disconnect and reconnect the audio link manually after turning on the piano. If I don’t do that, app doesn’t think I’m using external audio. Definitely a nasty bug in 17.1.2. Having to do a hard restart just to get this to sometimes work is NOT a solution.

iPad OS 17 HDMI out not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.