macOS 13.6 update freezes during install

When installing macOS 13.6, after several restarts, an Apple logo appeared by itself and, a few seconds later, an error message appeared saying there was a problem and to either press any key, or wait a few seconds for the computer to restart. In both cases, the loop just began again. Had to shut down computer using Power button then, when restarting the next day using the Power button, screen showed the Apple logo and nothing else until the same error message from the day before appeared, resulting in a continuation of the previous day's infinite loop of error message and freezing during install.

Then tried restarting holding Option+R, but only saw the Apple logo. Had to restart from another hard drive in order to get my iMac running.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 10:25 AM

Try this: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac, try downloading and installing the system update from there.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2023 10:25 AM in response to E. Kennedy

Try this: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac, try downloading and installing the system update from there.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Sep 23, 2023 12:19 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the suggestion, "Old Toad." I tried restarting in Safe Mode, as you suggested but, when my iMac started with the Shift key pressed, the same thing happened as was happening: an Apple logo appeared (no login screen, and no boot chime), then the progress bar appeared, started "progressing" then, about 2/3 of the way through, screen went blank and, after a few seconds, the error message shown above appeared, just as in previous attempts to restart.

I then shut down the computer using the Power Button, checked online using my iPhone for possible remedies, decided to try to restart in Recovery Mode one more time by holding the Command+R keys while starting and, this time, a cursor appeared in the upper left corner and, shortly after the Recovery Mode screen appeared! So, I used Disk Utility for First Aid - found no errors and returned disk to "previous condition" - then clicked on the icon to Install Ventura and, after about an hour for downloading and installing, my iMac was working again with macOS 13.6 installed! Finally!

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Sep 22, 2023 9:55 AM in response to E. Kennedy

It would seem that the OS update that you downloaded likely got corrupted during the download and needs to be newly downloaded and reinstalled. When downloading, try not to use Wi-Fi as it is too slow for these very large files. Better to use a wired Ethernet connection and it should be ok. If that is not possible you may have to do multiple downloads vis Wi-Fi until you get a good one that installs properly.

Sep 22, 2023 10:17 AM in response to Ronasara

Thanks for your reply, but the computer will not boot from my normal start-up disc, so there is no way to download the update directly to the normal start-up disc - all that happens when the Power button is pushed on is a black screen with the Apple logo then, as described, a progress bar that stops "progressing" almost immediately, followed by the error message. No matter what I tried, including starting in Restore mode, or running First Aid in Disk Utility from another hard drive (which said there were no problems), the same sequence repeats itself every time. The only way to use my iMac is to start from that other hard drive.

I think my only option would be to reformat the disc then restore from my TimeMachine backup, providing that whatever is causing the error has not also affected my TimeMachine backup (which is on a separate hard drive) unless someone can suggest a less radical alternative.

Thanks, again!

macOS 13.6 update freezes during install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.