Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iCloud contacts not synching to Macbook Air

I recently added an iPad to my Apple ID, which already includes my MacBook Air and my iPhone SE. All seems to have gone well, but today I added a couple of contacts on my iPhone, and they showed up on the iPad but not on the Mac. I signed everything out of iCloud, then back in, and it didn't help. I check to be sure Contacts on the Mac was properly set up for iCloud, and it is. The new contacts show up when I open iCloud on the web. What makes me particularly concerned is that the group "All iCloud" on the Mac's contact list is empty! Clearly the Mac is not synching its contacts with iCloud, even after signing out and back in, restarting, and everything else I can think of. Suggestions?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 9:25 AM

See the steps in the article If your iCloud Contacts, Calendars or Reminders aren't syncing - Apple Support 

Set up and use iCloud Contacts - Apple Support 

Take help of a web browser and enter in www.icloud.com with the apple id and password used in an iPhone , the contacts that were saved in will be visible select the desired contacts and click on gear icon in the left bottom corner and click on export as v card .

Open finder , click on downloads , right click on .vcf file and open with contacts .app( default ) .

The address book will get opened , a pop up window will appear stating are you sure you want to add number of cards , click on add .

Again open your address book the contacts that were in the iPhone will be transferred under the section “ All contacts “ in the Mac address book .

Sign out from www.icloud.com used with Apple ID and password for an iPhone .

Then enter in www.icloud.com with the apple id and password used in the Mac , click on gear icon and click on import as v card all the contacts will be transferred in the iCloud server , click on create group on the bottom right corner an untitled folder will be created in the side bar and the contacts from iPhone are transferred to the iCloud server account .

See some articles iCloud: Export a contact as a vCard from iCloud Contacts

iCloud: Import a contact into iCloud Contacts

iCloud: Create a group in iCloud Contacts

See this thread Get Contacts data back on Mac ? - Apple Community

Note : you can select , copy and paste Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support the contacts in All iCloud .

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2023 9:25 AM in response to William Williams

See the steps in the article If your iCloud Contacts, Calendars or Reminders aren't syncing - Apple Support 

Set up and use iCloud Contacts - Apple Support 

Take help of a web browser and enter in www.icloud.com with the apple id and password used in an iPhone , the contacts that were saved in will be visible select the desired contacts and click on gear icon in the left bottom corner and click on export as v card .

Open finder , click on downloads , right click on .vcf file and open with contacts .app( default ) .

The address book will get opened , a pop up window will appear stating are you sure you want to add number of cards , click on add .

Again open your address book the contacts that were in the iPhone will be transferred under the section “ All contacts “ in the Mac address book .

Sign out from www.icloud.com used with Apple ID and password for an iPhone .

Then enter in www.icloud.com with the apple id and password used in the Mac , click on gear icon and click on import as v card all the contacts will be transferred in the iCloud server , click on create group on the bottom right corner an untitled folder will be created in the side bar and the contacts from iPhone are transferred to the iCloud server account .

See some articles iCloud: Export a contact as a vCard from iCloud Contacts

iCloud: Import a contact into iCloud Contacts

iCloud: Create a group in iCloud Contacts

See this thread Get Contacts data back on Mac ? - Apple Community

Note : you can select , copy and paste Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support the contacts in All iCloud .

Sep 22, 2023 12:09 PM in response to tygb

This sounds like a reasonable work-around, but I don't see that it will keep my Mac synched with my phone. For some reason, the Mac does not seem to be seeing any iCloud contacts at all. This is obviously an error, and I'm looking for a way to fix the error, so that not only will it see the iCloud contacts now, but also any future contacts that I add on the iPhone or iPad will automatically show up on my Mac also.

iCloud contacts not synching to Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.