Security issues prior to or including IOS 16.7?

Apple documentation states that security issues exist in IOS before 16.7. Then I read an article on a techie website that states IOS 16.7 and 17.0 have security issues and updates available. Can someone clear this up please? Seems people are having issues with 17.0 and 17.0.1. I don't want to update my iPad or iPhone from 16.7 if I don't have to right now , not until this is clear and bugs are worked out. Thanks!

iPad (9th generation)

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 5:55 AM

Later versions system software include security updates that make it more secure than the previous version. It is always advised to apply the latest (supported) version. Staying on an older version makes you more vulnerable. That being said, 16.7 and 17.0.1 have the same CVE entries, sort of running parallel for the main version.

Else look up the CVE entries if you are so inclined in the details. About Apple security releases - Apple Support

Seems people are having issues with 17.0 and 17.0.1.

Some users will always have issues, which may or may not be related to the software update.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2023 5:55 AM in response to Hdnworth

Later versions system software include security updates that make it more secure than the previous version. It is always advised to apply the latest (supported) version. Staying on an older version makes you more vulnerable. That being said, 16.7 and 17.0.1 have the same CVE entries, sort of running parallel for the main version.

Else look up the CVE entries if you are so inclined in the details. About Apple security releases - Apple Support

Seems people are having issues with 17.0 and 17.0.1.

Some users will always have issues, which may or may not be related to the software update.

Security issues prior to or including IOS 16.7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.