My macbook shutsdown immediately it starts

My macbook pro 2020 shutdown when it starts booting the apple logo doesn't even load just the apple comes.Been try macos recovery,SMC,NVRAM reset like everything I've seen nothing works.Was watch a movie and it went off

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 5:31 PM

Make sure to disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

If the Recovery Mode options within the Apple article @leroydouglas provided does not help, then you will likely need to perform a firmware "Revive" (theoretically does not destroy any data). Not sure if you have the Intel or Apple Silicon model.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

When running Disk Utility First Aid, make sure to run it on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll back through the report to see if there are any unfixed errors listed. If so, then you will need to erase the drive followed by reinstalling macOS & restoring from a backup. When booting into Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery Mode, make sure you are booting to the installer for the same or newer version of macOS which is already installed on the internal drive since some Macs may only be able to boot to the online installer for the OS which originally shipped with the Mac.

Unfortunately options for 2018+ models are extremely limited so I hope you have a good backup of your computer since it most likely too late to access the data if you cannot get the laptop to boot normally or into Safe Mode. If you can authenticate to boot into Recovery Mode, then you may have some options to attempt to recover data from the internal drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2023 5:31 PM in response to kwadwo08

Make sure to disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

If the Recovery Mode options within the Apple article @leroydouglas provided does not help, then you will likely need to perform a firmware "Revive" (theoretically does not destroy any data). Not sure if you have the Intel or Apple Silicon model.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

When running Disk Utility First Aid, make sure to run it on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll back through the report to see if there are any unfixed errors listed. If so, then you will need to erase the drive followed by reinstalling macOS & restoring from a backup. When booting into Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery Mode, make sure you are booting to the installer for the same or newer version of macOS which is already installed on the internal drive since some Macs may only be able to boot to the online installer for the OS which originally shipped with the Mac.

Unfortunately options for 2018+ models are extremely limited so I hope you have a good backup of your computer since it most likely too late to access the data if you cannot get the laptop to boot normally or into Safe Mode. If you can authenticate to boot into Recovery Mode, then you may have some options to attempt to recover data from the internal drive.

Sep 22, 2023 6:31 PM in response to kwadwo08

kwadwo08 wrote:

My macbook pro 2020 shutdown when it starts booting the apple logo doesn't even load just the apple comes.Been try macos recovery,SMC,NVRAM reset like everything I've seen nothing works.Was watch a movie and it went off

Is it plugged into power?

If your Mac doesn't turn on

If your Mac doesn't turn on - Apple Support

My macbook shutsdown immediately it starts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.