Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iOS 17.0.2 limit battery to 80% does not discharge to 75%

iPhone 15 Pro Max on iOS 17.0.2 with the battery set to "80% Limit". The setting states that the phone will stop charging and then not charge again until the battery drops to 75%.

While on a magsafe compatible charger or connected via USB cable, the phone has a green charging symbol and does not discharge below 80%. Using an ESR cryoboost charger, the fan will start and stop every few seconds while maintaining charge (vs allowing a discharge to 75%).

Any tips for getting this feature to work as documented?

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 1:10 AM

Blazefire92 wrote:

I'm inclined to believe that Apple's documentation is either inaccurate, not fully documented, or the feature is incorrectly implemented.

That would be typical at this time of year, all three.

I am in the UK and many of our KBs still have to be updated. America first, and at the last minute, is the rule.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2023 1:10 AM in response to Blazefire92

Blazefire92 wrote:

I'm inclined to believe that Apple's documentation is either inaccurate, not fully documented, or the feature is incorrectly implemented.

That would be typical at this time of year, all three.

I am in the UK and many of our KBs still have to be updated. America first, and at the last minute, is the rule.

Sep 23, 2023 5:38 AM in response to LD150

Some good things to check, LD2150.

I am using the 25w 3-in-1 from ESR, certified for MagSafe.

I also did turn off Optimized Charging and Clean Energy Charging just in case. I only have a select few location services enabled, so Optimized Charging, which relies on Significant Locations, does not work for me.

I don't know if the 80% limit has such dependencies on other settings.

Sep 23, 2023 8:05 AM in response to LD150

The results are the same after testing with a genuine power adapter and a genuine USB C cable. The device shows a green charging indicator and remains at 80%. Charging stops/pauses to remain at 80 without dropping to the documented 75% first. This behavior was the same during activities (backups, videos, etc.) and periods of inactivity (standby).

iOS 17.0.2 limit battery to 80% does not discharge to 75%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.