Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

what key board settings may be changed at user account level?

In addition to the keyboard native to my MacBook, I use a detached Apple keyboard connected by bluetooth. Both keyboards are preventing the space bar from advancing the cursor in a few situations: 1) in spreadsheet applications (both Apple Numbers and Microsoft Excel), but only in a few of the cells; 2) in an literary reading and note-taking application downloaded from the internet that I've used on this Mac for 3+ years. This problem began a few weeks ago and nothing I've tried so far has resolved the problem. Attempted solutions include resetting settings to "default", talked to Apple Support, setting up a test user account, and deleting and re-installing all three of the applications in which the problem has been observed. Apple Support recommended setting up the test user account and deleting/reinstall the apps and has, so far concluded that it may be a keyboard mechanical problem. Even before deleting the apps, the problem did not occur in the test user account. After re-installing the apps, the problem still occurs in all three apps for the Administrator-user account. This leads me to believe that it isn't keyboard mechanical and that I must have inadvertently made an undesirable change of a keyboard-related setting in the Administrative-user account.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 10:49 AM

Space bar not working is usually caused by your accidentally having Full Keyboard Access turned ON in Accessibility settings.

When Keys Don't Behave Correctly - Apple Community

Similar questions

2 replies

what key board settings may be changed at user account level?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.