Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Multiple bugs/issues with iOS 17.02 and iPhone 15 Pro Max

Several issues I've seen so far:

Bluetooth not consistently connecting to other devices. Most notably, when I try to connect my phone to my 2019 MacBook Pro I get an error on the phone that it's "not supported."

The iOS 17 feature (which was working as intended on earlier betas) where the system automatically deletes messages and emails with verification codes after they are used is not working at all now.

Standby Mode works mostly well but I have not been able to have it remain constantly on. No matter what combination of settings I try, the screen will go blank after about 30 seconds and awake only when it senses motion.

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 1:09 PM

Michael Goldman wrote:

Always On Display is enabled in the display settings and works as it always has. It is the new Standby Mode where the standby screen with clock or widgets goes black after a certain amount of time and then only comes back in with movement detection. Note that I only use this at night so perhaps this is how it is meant to work and the standby screen is not meant to literally be “always on”

Yes, this is how it works at night. I don't know if it's triggered by time or by ambient light. During the day, it will stay on in Standby Mode.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2023 1:09 PM in response to Michael Goldman

Michael Goldman wrote:

Always On Display is enabled in the display settings and works as it always has. It is the new Standby Mode where the standby screen with clock or widgets goes black after a certain amount of time and then only comes back in with movement detection. Note that I only use this at night so perhaps this is how it is meant to work and the standby screen is not meant to literally be “always on”

Yes, this is how it works at night. I don't know if it's triggered by time or by ambient light. During the day, it will stay on in Standby Mode.

Sep 27, 2023 11:24 AM in response to Michael Goldman

Hey there Michael Goldman,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Since an iPhone cannot be "paired" with a Mac via Bluetooth, what are you trying to accomplish that requires a Bluetooth connection? For most features, it only requires that both a Mac and iPhone has Bluetooth turned on. Here are some examples: Use Continuity to work across Apple devices - Apple Support

With the Messages app not automatically deleting verification code messages, is it set up according to this article? Use Messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (scroll down to "Set Messages to automatically delete verification codes in iOS 17 or later" for the steps).

For using Standby Mode, make sure that "Always-on display" has been enabled: Use Always-On display with your iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 14 Pro Max - Apple Support Even though the title of the article hasn't been updated yet, it does include an iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Feel free to get back to us with any questions or problems you may have.

Take care.

Sep 27, 2023 12:51 PM in response to SnickZ.

For the Bluetooth thing…I did finally realize that this was not ever a thing. For some reason I thought it had been.

Regarding the auto delete of verification codes, nothing has changed with my message set up and, this feature was working on an earlier beta version on my 14 PM and then stopped working on that phone as well as my new 15 PM.

Sep 27, 2023 12:56 PM in response to SnickZ.

Sep 27, 2023 1:20 PM in response to Michael Goldman

Michael Goldman wrote:

Thank you. This is what I had suspected but “experts” elsewhere were convinced it should stay on all the time.

I had seen reports of that behavior even before iOS 17. But, I only just got my iPhone 15 Pro so, just now playing with it myself. During the day, Standby mode stays on all the time. At night, it goes dark. It seems to come on more easily and reliably than it did on my iPhone 11 Pro which required me to give the nightstand a pretty solid thump. The 15 Pro seems to sense movement in the room?

Dec 28, 2023 11:23 AM in response to Michael Goldman

Since I Updated to ios 17.1.2 my bluetooth decvices no longer automatically connect! I have to turn bluetooth off and back on to connect most times and sometimes I have to forget the device and and re add the device to make it work! This is highly frustrating and I don't understand why an ios update constantly breaks things on your devices, this did not used to happen with such frequency.

Multiple bugs/issues with iOS 17.02 and iPhone 15 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.