HDCP Blocking YouTube via HDMI Lightning Adapter

Does HDCP now block YouTube videos via the Apple HDMI to Lightning adapter? I’m an AV technician at a hotel and up until today I would always just plug my phone into projectors and monitors and play a short YouTube video just to do a quick test to make sure things were looking and sounding alright on setups. Today for the first time I kept getting a “something went wrong” error every time I attempted to play a video through the YouTube app. It would work fine if I played any YouTube video through the website on the Safari browser on my phone (iPhone 14 pro). It’s never done that before today. Did something change over the last couple of days to block this via HDCP?

Any info would greatly help!

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 10:05 AM

I have the same issue with YouTube TV. It worked fine for several months then quit working. I have contacted YouTube TV and they cannot help

4 replies

Sep 27, 2023 11:47 AM in response to jrivera1710

Hello jrivera1710,

The Lightning Digital AV Adapter is HDCP compatible, so you should meet the requirements listed at About Apple Digital AV Adapters for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support. Is this issue only happening with YouTube? It sounds like it, so we would recommend reinstalling the app since that seems to be the specific point of origin. If that doesn't help, then reaching out to YouTube for support with the app will be your best option.

Thanks!

HDCP Blocking YouTube via HDMI Lightning Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.