How do you fix weak security wi-fi warning on iPhone IOS 16?

It is my understanding that the weak security wi-fi can result in security breaches on an iPhone. Most experts recommend that WPA3 be used, if available on the network. Although I have researched the steps involved in making this change, I am somewhat uncertain and would appreciate Apple support to execute this change. I have backed up my iPhone to reserve the original settings, and I would like to move forward with the change to optimize security on my iPhone.

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 1:22 PM

Apple cannot execute those changes for you because those settings are only available to be set on your Router. Apple does not make or sell your router.

——

The problem is different routers call it different things. Alternates include:

• WPA2-PSK(AES)
  • WPA2-Personal
  • WPA2/WPA3

The ones to NOT use:

• WEP
  • WPA/WPA2(AES)
  • WPA/WPA2-PSK(AES)
  • Any setting with TKIP anywhere in it

Your iPhone is notifying you that the Wi-Fi Network that it is connected to does not have adequate security by today's standards. If you are interested in improving the security of your Wi-Fi then you can log into the Router and change the security settings to WPA2 (AES) in the least. If you do not know how to log into your Wi-Fi Router then please refer to the owner's manual. If you do not have the owner's manual the please contact the support team of the Router's manufacturer / provider.

More information here ➔ Recommended Settings for Wi-Fi Routers & Access Points. 

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2023 1:22 PM in response to Zantheus

Apple cannot execute those changes for you because those settings are only available to be set on your Router. Apple does not make or sell your router.

——

The problem is different routers call it different things. Alternates include:

• WPA2-PSK(AES)
  • WPA2-Personal
  • WPA2/WPA3

The ones to NOT use:

• WEP
  • WPA/WPA2(AES)
  • WPA/WPA2-PSK(AES)
  • Any setting with TKIP anywhere in it

Your iPhone is notifying you that the Wi-Fi Network that it is connected to does not have adequate security by today's standards. If you are interested in improving the security of your Wi-Fi then you can log into the Router and change the security settings to WPA2 (AES) in the least. If you do not know how to log into your Wi-Fi Router then please refer to the owner's manual. If you do not have the owner's manual the please contact the support team of the Router's manufacturer / provider.

More information here ➔ Recommended Settings for Wi-Fi Routers & Access Points. 

Axel F.

How do you fix weak security wi-fi warning on iPhone IOS 16?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.