Messed up Factory Reset on MacBook Pro Mid 2012 (A1278)

I was trying to factory reset my MacBook Pro Mid 2012 (A1278 model) so that I could sell it online. Somehow I messed up along the way and now when I try to restart the laptop, all I see is a gray flashing question mark. Is there any way to get back the Catalina that it was supposed to be restored to? I don't understand what I am looking at. Also when I tried to go and reinstall, the screen indicated for OX X Mavericks, that I still could not install anyways. Please Help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 2:16 PM

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

In Disk Utility>View, select Show all Devices, highlight the top left entry.

APFS won't work for Sierra or earlier, Sierra or earlier needs MacOS Extended Journaled. High Sierra won't work for APFS on earlier Macs.

What has often worked for others is to use this Restore Method instead of CMD+r keys...

Option-⌘-R

2017 iMac failing to install Sierra in re… - Apple Community

Clean Install of High Sierra: Multiple Fa… - Apple Community

An Error Occurred While Preparing The Ins… - Apple Community

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2023 2:16 PM in response to krys178

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

Option-⌘-R

In Disk Utility>View, select Show all Devices, highlight the top left entry.

APFS won't work for Sierra or earlier, Sierra or earlier needs MacOS Extended Journaled. High Sierra won't work for APFS on earlier Macs.

What has often worked for others is to use this Restore Method instead of CMD+r keys...

Option-⌘-R

2017 iMac failing to install Sierra in re… - Apple Community

Clean Install of High Sierra: Multiple Fa… - Apple Community

An Error Occurred While Preparing The Ins… - Apple Community

Mar 1, 2024 4:29 PM in response to krys178

I did exactly the same thing, but when it tried to install the OS, I get an error message that installed failed and I should try again. I have tried numerous times and it fails every time. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I have tried starting up off the installer disks or snow leopard retail CD and I get the great screen of death or code written on the screen.

I performed this reset years ago with no issues, has Apple removed the update to make these older machines useless?

Messed up Factory Reset on MacBook Pro Mid 2012 (A1278)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.