Worst battery performance

I did an update to iOS 10.0.1 yesterday and went for a 1h run and then a bike ride. After 3h the watch informed me about a 10% battery power status. I put it then in battery saving mode, but the watch dies after a further 30 min. The watch was fully charged in the morning and no sensors connected. So, the Apple Watch Ultra cannot even survive 4.5 h of training without battery saving mode? This is by far the worst performance of any sport watch today? Before the update to iOS 10 the battery performance was very bad, but now it is even worse! Do others have the same experience?

Apple Watch Ultra, watchOS 10

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 5:36 AM

After a few days, power cycle the Apple Watch and your iPhone and battery usage should return to normal.

After a major operating system upgrade there is housekeeping the operating system is doing in the background that uses battery. When this is completed, and you power cycle the devices, life returns to normal.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2023 5:36 AM in response to ulisander

After a few days, power cycle the Apple Watch and your iPhone and battery usage should return to normal.

After a major operating system upgrade there is housekeeping the operating system is doing in the background that uses battery. When this is completed, and you power cycle the devices, life returns to normal.

Sep 24, 2023 12:41 AM in response to ulisander

Hello Friend,

Make sure to turn off the background app refresh and check walkie-talkie is not accidentally turned on.

Check there is no workout running while you're not working out (yellow circle at the top if the screen.)

Make sure you have no VPN or VPN-based ad-blocker on the iPhone. Uninstall it then remove any profiles (iPhone Settings, General VPN & Device Management)

Force restart your watch i.e. press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo. 

Then while the Watch is restarting Force Restart the paired iPhone Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK)

Try it for a couple of days especially if you sync photos to your Watch.

If the battery still drains then Unpair the watch and then pair it again. 

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK)

Batteries - Maximising Performance - Apple (UK)

Sep 24, 2023 10:22 PM in response to BobHarris

If it s so how you explain, than this just confirms that the Apple Watch Ultra is just a lifestyle wat but not a sports watch. Should I just skip my training plans because the watch needs time to rest? I went also on a six hour ride yesterday. During the ride, the watch did an auto-stop and did not re-activate, so I list a third of my ride. That happens also on the ride the day before yesterday. Should one accept malfunction, just because the watch needs to do background stuff?

Worst battery performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.