Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Photos search function no longer working after IOS 17 upgrade

After installing the latest IOS upgrade a couple of days ago the search function on Photos no longer works as before (on Ipad or IPhone) Used to be able to search by date or date range to find photos taken on those dates and now it’s not working that way. It was working fine the morning before I did the IOS upgrade 17 and afterwards it no longer worked that way.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 7:48 AM

When will this issue be resolved? Says for me to charge overnight “photos scans your library to offer search suggestions. Connect you iPhone to power overnight to continue scanning.” Umm I do this every night. Need a solution pronto please. This is ridiculous, Apple- you’re better than this. Please correct this issue.

61 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2023 7:48 AM in response to JulzBGM

When will this issue be resolved? Says for me to charge overnight “photos scans your library to offer search suggestions. Connect you iPhone to power overnight to continue scanning.” Umm I do this every night. Need a solution pronto please. This is ridiculous, Apple- you’re better than this. Please correct this issue.

Dec 12, 2023 5:58 PM in response to JulzBGM

Same issue and then some. All photos on airdrops going to iCloud instead of phone. I’ve spent hours searching for fixes and tried them all. Spent hours more with work because nothing is working properly to streamline as usual.

I always swipe up and add notes to media on my phone. Nothing is working In the search now like it use to.

Apple, most of the reasons I use your product are not working anymore with this update. Please fix ALL of this.

Unbelievably ridiculous.

Dec 8, 2023 7:22 AM in response to brbo

Yes I tried all of these. Since it no longer works the way it used to, there should be a function to allow you to search by “taken on” to find all photos taken on a particular day or date range-irregardless of GPS or anything else. That is how it used to work. If you typed in a particular date or range all photos taken on that day would come up.

Nov 12, 2023 5:24 PM in response to stepheny13

Re: When will this issue be resolved?

We are all Apple users, like yourself, in the community ... so no-one here really knows what Apple will do next, and comments to Apple only reach the Apple users.

Meanwhile, if the search function does not work as expected, Apple can be informed, or features requested, using their feedback form:

The more feedback they receive on an issue, the more likely it will be addressed.

Webform: Feedback - Photos - Apple

Dec 11, 2023 4:14 PM in response to brbo

I’m experiencing the same issue within the PHOTOS app.

I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

IOS 17.1.2 is currently installed.

The Search function does not work.

The phone is not indexing my photos and sometimes it will reminded them at night.

This was never the issue before I installed IOS 17.

I have always been able to easily search my photos by date, key word, name with no issues.

Jan 1, 2024 7:31 AM in response to JulzBGM

I am having the same issue with the photos app. It started slowly. When I did a search , I only got a few pictures related to the search , when I knew I had hundreds . Now I get nothing . I also have to wait for my pictures to format to be able to send. I get a swirling circle. If I take the photo in messages and send, I have no issue. But if the photo is taken in photos , I have to wait to be able to send. I took my phone to the Apple Store to have a “Genius” check it out. They were stumped . They said they had never heard of this issue , and it was probably an update glitch. I pulled up to his site and showed them all the other people having issues. I was there for about an hour between sign in, assessment of my issues, and seeing a technician. My search still isn’t working , and pictures still take forever to be ready to share.

Sep 25, 2023 5:10 AM in response to JulzBGM

Not sure what you mean-that’s how I’ve been using the search function but now, if I type in 9/2/2023 or 09/02/2023 or even September 2 it comes up with a bunch of garbage-looking for those numbers in the actual photos-doesn’t bring up the photos taken on that day. It was working fine right before I did the upgrade. Just got back from a vacation so had already been working with the photos prior to installing the upgrade. Now it doesn’t work the way it used to.

Photos search function no longer working after IOS 17 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.