Music library search doesn't work properly

Searching my Music Library in the Music app on Mac doesn't work. In the attached screenshot, for example, I search my library for "Tori Amos" and get 9 results when there should be about 30.

The second and third searches show me searching for a specific Tori Amos album, which Search finds. Why don't these albums show up when I search for "Tori Amos" as she is clearly the artist? How do I fix search? Can the index be force rebuilt?

Parallels, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 6:11 PM

That search bar at the upper left is only for beginners. To find what you want in your library, set View > Show Filter Field. That puts a new field at the upper right. Type in tori.

The filter field applies to what you are viewing. If you have a playlist open, it will look in that playlist. If you have your Songs library open, it will search your whole library.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2023 6:11 PM in response to boaster_11

That search bar at the upper left is only for beginners. To find what you want in your library, set View > Show Filter Field. That puts a new field at the upper right. Type in tori.

The filter field applies to what you are viewing. If you have a playlist open, it will look in that playlist. If you have your Songs library open, it will search your whole library.

Sep 27, 2023 4:08 PM in response to boaster_11

Hello boaster_11,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with searching your music library on Mac. This article goes over how it should work: Search for music in Music on Mac - Apple Support

For more help, please reach out to Apple directly here: Get Support

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Music library search doesn't work properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.