can’t print after iOS17 upgrade

Neither iPad nor iPhone will print after I upgraded to iOS17. Tried all the recent recommendations. No change. Frustrating!

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 12:36 PM

If your printer supports AirPrint - is set-up correctly and was working as expected prior to the iPadOS17 update - you may find that restart of your network components will resolve the problem. You’ll need to restart your network devices in the correct order. Assuming that you WiFi Router provides DNS services for your network, restart devices in this order - allowing time for devices to fully boot/restart prior to restarting other devices:

• WiFi Router
  • Upstream wired Network Switch(es) (if any)
  • WiFi Access Points / Network Extenders
  • Other fixed infrastructure devices - such as Printers
  • Client devices (your iPad)

Restarting your iPad, after restarting other devices in the correct sequence, is most simply achieved by a forced-restart of the iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

• On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If you continue to have difficulties, check to see if your iPad is using the new WiFi Private Address feature. This feature is intended to provide additional privacy and security when using “public” (untrusted) WiFi networks.

Settings > WiFi > [Your WiFi Network / SSID] - tap the “i” icon - Private Address

The Private Address feature is largely unnecessary for your home WiFi network; if enabled, Private Addressing can interfere with anticipated operation of other devices, such as AirPrint/Airplay. In such circumstances, you may need to disable this feature - and can be enabled or disabled for each individual network.

Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and watchOS 7 - Apple Support

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2023 12:36 PM in response to tjhiPad

If your printer supports AirPrint - is set-up correctly and was working as expected prior to the iPadOS17 update - you may find that restart of your network components will resolve the problem. You’ll need to restart your network devices in the correct order. Assuming that you WiFi Router provides DNS services for your network, restart devices in this order - allowing time for devices to fully boot/restart prior to restarting other devices:

• WiFi Router
  • Upstream wired Network Switch(es) (if any)
  • WiFi Access Points / Network Extenders
  • Other fixed infrastructure devices - such as Printers
  • Client devices (your iPad)

Restarting your iPad, after restarting other devices in the correct sequence, is most simply achieved by a forced-restart of the iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

• On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If you continue to have difficulties, check to see if your iPad is using the new WiFi Private Address feature. This feature is intended to provide additional privacy and security when using “public” (untrusted) WiFi networks.

Settings > WiFi > [Your WiFi Network / SSID] - tap the “i” icon - Private Address

The Private Address feature is largely unnecessary for your home WiFi network; if enabled, Private Addressing can interfere with anticipated operation of other devices, such as AirPrint/Airplay. In such circumstances, you may need to disable this feature - and can be enabled or disabled for each individual network.

Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and watchOS 7 - Apple Support

Oct 8, 2023 3:25 PM in response to tjhiPad

I have been pursuing this problem with my own printer - HP lasarjet 200 - m250n

in my case I get two different messages on two different iPad Pros both running the same ios

one says the printer is out of paper - bu it isn’t -

the other ask me to insert paper manually - which I can’t because the facility to do so does not exist on this printer.

private addresses ? It has surely been using them by default (in my case ignorance) prior to ios17

i have uninstalled and re-installed the printer with latest driver (which it had previously been using anyway)

printer firmware is latest anyway.

printer runs fine on w10 - still.

have shut down the WiFi components as suggested in other articles - and re-booted

The only thing I haven’t done is modify the IOS System - that is for apple ? Yes ?

Feb 2, 2024 6:44 AM in response to pennsyrrfan

Only thing that works for me is turning off the vpn. OK for home printer but unacceptable if using a public printer, e.g., hotel business center!

Unless your VPN supports split-tunnelling, all network traffic (including AirPrint) is directed to the VPN Gateway. As such and by design, when your VPN is active, you'll not be able to access local resources such as a network printer.

If your VPN software allows you to configure split-tunnelling, you may be able to access local network resources while your VPN connection remains active. However, you should be mindful that this configuration is substantially less secure - as unintended traffic may appear on the local network.

Feb 7, 2024 10:58 AM in response to LotusPilot

After researching threads regarding printing, I tried all suggestions. But what I have discovered is that I can AirPrint on either my iPad or iPhone with the latest IOS17 but not directly from any of my photos, which I always did prior to the upgrade. If I try printing a photo, it allows me to select a printer (in my case HP Laserjet Pro 200 M276mw), then after a delay of 5-10 seconds, the printer display shows “printing document” for 1-2 seconds then nothing. I can print pdf from my files no problem, just not photos. I can print attachments from emails, spreadsheets and some online photos, just not any of my own photos directly.

can’t print after iOS17 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.