Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone does not show up in Finder over WiFi

I have an iPhone 12 running 17.0.1 and a MacBook Pro 16-inch 2023 running 13.4.1.

I would like to sync the phone to the computer over WiFi, but it does not show up in the Finder.

The phone does show up when connected via USB.

The phone does properly back up via USB.

"Show this phone on Wi-Fi" is checked.

Both the iPhone and computer are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. There are no other network issues I can see.

The phone and computer use the same Apple ID in case that matters.

What could be in the way here?

I've tried turning "Private Wi-Fi Address" on and off but it doesn't seem to do anything, and it seems strange to have to turn that off to sync wirelessly.

What items should be on my troubleshooting list?

iPhone 12

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2024 8:07 AM

I just had this same issue. Usually restarting one or both devices works, but not this time.

Instead I went to the Apple menu () > Force Quit...

Then selected Finder from the list and pressed the Relaunch button (I noticed it changes from "Force Quit" to "Relaunch" when you select Finder).

That seemed to fix it for me. When I reopened Finder my iPhone was back on the list and synced properly.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2024 8:07 AM in response to enfolder

I just had this same issue. Usually restarting one or both devices works, but not this time.

Instead I went to the Apple menu () > Force Quit...

Then selected Finder from the list and pressed the Relaunch button (I noticed it changes from "Force Quit" to "Relaunch" when you select Finder).

That seemed to fix it for me. When I reopened Finder my iPhone was back on the list and synced properly.

Sep 25, 2023 8:56 AM in response to enfolder

As I'm sure you know, you only see your iPhone in a Finder window´s sidebar! So if your iPhone isn’t showing up in the Finder try this, with your iPhone connected to your MacBook:

1) In Finder go to Finder > Preferences > Sidebar

2) Make sure “iOS Devices” is checked

3) Uncheck “iOS Devices”, wait a few seconds and check “iOS Devices” back on again.

Hope this helps you!

Sep 25, 2023 11:30 AM in response to enfolder

If all else fails give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Sep 25, 2023 7:05 AM in response to enfolder

enfolder wrote:

I have an iPhone 12 running 17.0.1 and a MacBook Pro 16-inch 2023 running 13.4.1.

I would like to sync the phone to the computer over WiFi, but it does not show up in the Finder.

The phone does show up when connected via USB.
The phone does properly back up via USB.
"Show this phone on Wi-Fi" is checked.
Both the iPhone and computer are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. There are no other network issues I can see.
The phone and computer use the same Apple ID in case that matters.

What could be in the way here?

I've tried turning "Private Wi-Fi Address" on and off but it doesn't seem to do anything, and it seems strange to have to turn that off to sync wirelessly.

What items should be on my troubleshooting list?

ref:

Back up iPhone - Apple Support

Sep 26, 2023 4:59 AM in response to enfolder

So I don't know what changed, but now it works! Apparently the solution is to get frustrated and post to Apple Communities.

I did try Ian Leckie's solution of toggling the finder show feature for iOS devices—it was already checked, and unchecking and rechecking it did not seem to do anything. Maybe a delayed reaction?

But then a few hours later I went to try an OS update to 13.6 (thanks for the poke, dialabrain), and while it was downloading I plugged my phone in to charge. It immediately connected to the computer wirelessly, and has done so automatically ever since.

Anyway, I wish I could write here some "wisdom from the ancients" but I don't have any.

iPhone does not show up in Finder over WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.